Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Web Hosting companies
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:28 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi all,
First of all I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post this, if it's not please move it, or let me know.

I'm trying to figure out which web hosting companies are the best and which to avoid. I've looked at a few review sites but there are too many differences in their findings. You can't know who's praising themselves under a different name.

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:37 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

before making recommendations, we will need to know what you plan to host, how much data transfer you expect, stuff like that.

something to host pics of Uncle Bob, something to host a forum or something to host a business with online purchases and such will all need different hosting plans and capabilities. different hosting companies may be better for some things than for others, so the more info you can provide the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:44 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I've had the best luck with GoDaddy to be perfectly honest.

I don't really like their "busy-looking" site layout, but their tech support is great, their prices are very affordable, and they have a lot of nice add-ons for your site. I also work with a professional web designer and he recommends all of his clients use GoDaddy.

I've also used StartLogic in the past. That experience was okay but I think GoDaddy's tech support is MUCH better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My company is a tech support company, computers and networks.
I plan on hosting phpbb, eventually a support ticketing system, and of course my email. I'll need 2-3 separate photo galleries, but those are not really hard to setup.
I'm having my email hosted by Mailtrust right now, no problems there.

I was burned once before by a hosting company who's tech support didn't speak english for starters, they wouldn't let me register my domain somewhere else, and finally they wouldn't let me cancel and leave.

So I've learned the hard way that features-per-dollar are not everything...

I've been using Hostmonster for about a year or so, not complaining, but I'm just researching what's out there.

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:00 am 
Klamath
Klamath

sv5frz wrote:
I was burned once before by a hosting company who's tech support didn't speak english for starters, they wouldn't let me register my domain somewhere else, and finally they wouldn't let me cancel and leave.

So I've learned the hard way that features-per-dollar are not everything...

not to keep pushing the GoDaddy option but before and during launch of my website I was on the phone w/ tech support 3-4 times a week for a couple weeks. All english speaking, all VERY helpful and knew their system. I was new to web designing at the time and they were very understanding, spoke in terms that I understood and spent whawtever time necessary for me to comprehend what was happening.
During peak hours I was never on hold for more than 5-8 minutes.

Tech support, to me, is key in making decisions like this so I'm more likely to lean towards a company, vendor, supplier with good T/S than spend a little less and get spotty T/S.