Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: can somebody explain to me what "semantic web" mea
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

i cant find a clear definition or example of it. anybody know more on this subject?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:22 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Here's my take on the intent of a Semantic Web goal.

Right now, we humans do searches on the web for information as we need it.

With a semantic web based experience, computers will have the power to listen/receive input from humans and find the answers by talking amongst themselves.

Right now, computers don't "understand" the internet like we do because the languages and formats the web is presented in are directed at humans for understanding. There would need to be a "sub-layer", or another language, presented to the computers of the world to actually understand the Internet naively as right now, a computer simply regurgitates what humans have shown it, how humans understand it.

The thing about a semantic web setup is that computers will need to be at least partially self aware for it to work the way it is currently envisioned IMHO. And computers aren't self aware at all yet. They can be programmed to appear self aware, but I've not heard of a true self awareness yet. Without this self awareness, any implementation of a semantic web would still be humans telling computers how to present information....yet give computers a better way to harness the power of the internet by allowing computers to talk to each other easier.

Does that answer your question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quakindude wrote:
Here's my take on the intent of a Semantic Web goal.

Right now, we humans do searches on the web for information as we need it.

With a semantic web based experience, computers will have the power to listen/receive input from humans and find the answers by talking amongst themselves.

Right now, computers don't "understand" the internet like we do because the languages and formats the web is presented in are directed at humans for understanding. There would need to be a "sub-layer", or another language, presented to the computers of the world to actually understand the Internet naively as right now, a computer simply regurgitates what humans have shown it, how humans understand it.

The thing about a semantic web setup is that computers will need to be at least partially self aware for it to work the way it is currently envisioned IMHO. And computers aren't self aware at all yet. They can be programmed to appear self aware, but I've not heard of a true self awareness yet. Without this self awareness, any implementation of a semantic web would still be humans telling computers how to present information....yet give computers a better way to harness the power of the internet by allowing computers to talk to each other easier.

Does that answer your question?

kind of. basically they want computers to have a mind of their own and form their own social clubs on the internet to make our experience better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:21 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

No.

A semantic web is a web of meaning. The idea is that the way that the 'Web' is organised is an evolving and growing web of meaning.

For instance, my web site is linked to MPC, various jeep forums, sites with information about jeep, technical writing, publishing, etc.. ... essentially, all the things that I am most interested in. Now, consider a subset of the 'Web' that consists of my web site and all those sites that are linked to it. What can we learn from this semantic web? We can see that the center of the web (my site) has links to all these things I mentioned earlier and, from that, we can infer some things about me (as the owner / operator of the site). For instance, you could infer that I'm a technical writer, that I'm interested in jeeps, surfing, etc etc..

Now, expand the idea. What can we learn from the Web as a whole? Or from other subsets of the Web? What can we learn by comparing websites from NYC with those from LA? What can we learn by following the presence of certain information across the web? Who is linking to Al Jazeera?

Semantic webs: webs of meaning created by analysing the links and paths between pieces of information and their interrelation.

Quakin was referring to some of the applications of semantic webs. Search algorithms can make use of semantic web relationships by analysing not only the content of the web page (Joe's Jeep Page), but also what links to it and it links to ... for instance, if no one links to Joe's Jeep Page, but there are hundreds of links to Ultimate Jeep, the search engine would score Ultimate Jeep higher. Google uses this kind of search technique.

The search algorithm needs to be aware of the relationships ... it does not need to be self-aware. It is just an algorithm.

This is a very basic and general overview ... there is a lot of research on-going in this area. I've only talked about the relationships of links to semantic webs. There is also the concept of injecting meta-data into web pages that describe the semantic content of the page to allow better searching and interrelationships.

Excellent question, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:12 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

Jipstyle wrote:
No.

A semantic web is a web of meaning. The idea is that the way that the 'Web' is organised is an evolving and growing web of meaning.

For instance, my web site is linked to MPC, various jeep forums, sites with information about jeep, technical writing, publishing, etc.. ... essentially, all the things that I am most interested in. Now, consider a subset of the 'Web' that consists of my web site and all those sites that are linked to it. What can we learn from this semantic web? We can see that the center of the web (my site) has links to all these things I mentioned earlier and, from that, we can infer some things about me (as the owner / operator of the site). For instance, you could infer that I'm a technical writer, that I'm interested in jeeps, surfing, etc etc..

Now, expand the idea. What can we learn from the Web as a whole? Or from other subsets of the Web? What can we learn by comparing websites from NYC with those from LA? What can we learn by following the presence of certain information across the web? Who is linking to Al Jazeera?

Semantic webs: webs of meaning created by analysing the links and paths between pieces of information and their interrelation.

Quakin was referring to some of the applications of semantic webs. Search algorithms can make use of semantic web relationships by analysing not only the content of the web page (Joe's Jeep Page), but also what links to it and it links to ... for instance, if no one links to Joe's Jeep Page, but there are hundreds of links to Ultimate Jeep, the search engine would score Ultimate Jeep higher. Google uses this kind of search technique.

The search algorithm needs to be aware of the relationships ... it does not need to be self-aware. It is just an algorithm.

This is a very basic and general overview ... there is a lot of research on-going in this area. I've only talked about the relationships of links to semantic webs. There is also the concept of injecting meta-data into web pages that describe the semantic content of the page to allow better searching and interrelationships.

Excellent question, btw.

Would a good analogy of a semantic web be information derived from a virtual six degrees of seperation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Sort of ... you've got the right idea with the links, and distance from a given node is definitely a piece of information that makes up the content of a semantic web.

I say 'sort of' because it is one variable among many. In addition to 'how far is this node from X', other questions include 'how many sites related to X are linked to this node'

You've got the gist of it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jipstyle wrote:
No.

Excellent question, btw.

so if i liked the information you had on a certain subject i would be able to "search jipstyle for subject x" and it would show me everything jipstyle has on subject x including whatever jipstyle is connected to that has info about subject x?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:22 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That is an example is a use of semantic web relationships, yes.