Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thin Clients and Servers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I stumbled upon some reading about thin clients. I never new such a thing existed. I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to setup a server with some thin clients. I am thinking about setting something up for my local after school program.

Typical if I were to use a quad core computer for a server, how many thin client would I be able to setup?

Also if I wanted these clients to be gaming compatible what type of graphic cards would I use?

Also how you admin one of these networks?

Post subject: Re: Thin Clients and Servers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

3rdegreeBurn wrote:
I stumbled upon some reading about thin clients. I never new such a thing existed. I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to setup a server with some thin clients. I am thinking about setting something up for my local after school program.

Typical if I were to use a quad core computer for a server, how many thin client would I be able to setup?

Also if I wanted these clients to be gaming compatible what type of graphic cards would I use?

Also how you admin one of these networks?

I would think there would be many factors involved deciding how many clients you need and what type of video card you'll need. Keep in mind that these thin clients (from what I know) are used in networks such as parallel networking structures, so they really aren't intended for games, unless you mod them to work that way. I've only dealt with small networks that use this technique for problem solving / data manipulation and number crunching purposes.

Try looking up "parallel computing" or "beowulf clusters" This should get you started if you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

Then again, if you're talkikng about using a small network, then these are similar to a normal network. Thin client can be used loosely in tech talk: When someone says thin client, I tend to think of the very small computers that are about the size of a ream of printer paper., in which case, these could be classified as thin clients because many corporations use these small PCs on their networks to take up less space and use less overall resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:47 pm 

I'm in an environment with about 600 thin clients. We're primarily a terminal server shop with some citrix in there too and are actively pursuing virtual desktops.

Thin clients are leveraged in many different ways, but primarily they're used to reduce end user managmeent at the desk, cut overall power consumption and maintenance costs. The latter depending on how you deploy your back end infrastructure.

These are not for gaming locally nor are they for anything application heavy at the desk. Even the most highend of thin clients don't generally come with a hard drive to begin with though sometimes one can be added. However, you're up in the $600.00 range for one of these. Also, there are numerous OSs for these things --think Linux caveats, XP Embedded and believe it or not, Windows CE. Out of the box if the OS doesn't limit your functionality the hardware will ~1GB on most tcs.

The easiest way to roll these things out are with Windows Terminal Services. You'll eventually need to buy licenses (server and ts cal's) but you do get a period of time before you're forced to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hmmm well it seems then that is not the route the I am looking for them. Seems to complicated for what I would like to accomplish.