Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Changed from Cox to AT&T need new email client
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:58 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

title says it all. However when I go to setup my att.net email account I am given an SMTP server and POP server that are both pop.att.yahoo.com and smtp.att.yahoo.com. I do NOT want a yahoo server for my email. I spent 30 min on the phone with AT&T only to have them tell me their only email server was with yahoo. With Cox they had their own smtp and pop servers, now I'm stuck because I don't want my att.yahoo account going through all my mail. Yahoo has enough holes in it already without getting into my main home email address. So, can anybody suggest a GOOD email server? Not Hotmail or yahoo or gmail or anything like that, but something with a bit better security and little restrictions on downloads or uploads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

just a note.. guess I'm looking for a non webbased email server, if that's possible without being charged, are any good ones available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:33 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You're out of luck ... everyone else in the world has decided to stop paying for email.

How are you going to access a non-web-based mail portal?

You can either set up your own mail server or accept one of the many free solutions that the rest of the world is using. At least with a web-based email, you can access your email anywhere and when you change your ISP you won't have to go through this again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:36 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Actually the title doesn’t say it all, because an email client is a program the receives your email like outlook or thunderbird. That’s not what you're looking for.

Like jip said unless you want to host your own email you and you don't want to change email addresses all the time you are stuck with free web mail. I think you are freaking out about something that really isn't a big deal. AT&T pays yahoo for their email service, and since you are using AT&T as an ISP you are essentially paying for yahoo email. Their pay email is more secure then their free email. I also have AT&T/Yahoo email that I never use, but when I do check it there is no spam in the inbox. I only get customer related emails from At&T.

Many companies are starting to use services like MSN, Yahoo and Gmail for their corporate email because it's inexpensive, easy, and provides huge inboxes and respectable SPAM controls. I personally use Gmail for Business for my own private email. I get 20 email boxes (only use 2 or 3) I have my own domain name, and the convenience of gmail.

If you want to pay for email an option is to buy a domain name. Most registrars offer either free or inexpensive email packages with your yearly domain subscription. You can even host your own email server. There are several free email servers available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:42 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, the reason I don't like it is because when I'm on the Uverse homepage and click on email it takes me to my yahoo login. It won't take me to their email. I called them about this, but they wouldn't/couldn't help me. Also, when getting mail in thunderbird this error comes up:

You have attempted to establish a connection with "pop.att.yahoo.com". However the security certificate presented belongs to "pop.att.yahoo.com". It is possible, though unlikely, that someone is trying to intercept your communication with this website.

If you suspect the certificate shown does not belong to "pop.att.yahoo.com" please cancel the connection and notify the site administrator.

I can click "ok" and it'll check for email. But how do I go about getting rid of that error? And why can't I check my email from uverse without it going to my yahoo login page? This is why I was looking for a different server.