Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with AT&T self install
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:48 am 

I'm finally making the switch from the dreaded beast of dialup, but I have hit a major dilema. After getting my equiptment in the mail the other day, I attempted to install as directed. Needless to say, this turned into a complete failure.

Absolutely no information was given about how I was supposed to go from pluging in my ethernet cable to magically having AT&T's software on my computer. The steps in the manual go straight from connecting the 2wire gateway to "Open your browser to complete the installation and registration process." Obviously, I get no connection in my browser. Who ever would have thought of that?

In a sudden flash of inspiration I tore open the "Backup Installation CD." This CD has me install some software (steps 1-3), followed by attempting to test the connection. The connection fails no matter what I do. I have not even been able to register yet, as I cannot get to this step.

Everything is connected correctly, but the stupid software always fails the connectivity test. When I searched for alternate install methods online, I found some directions that were no less of a failure. I simply cannot connect to the gateway even though the cable are correct. If i try to enter the gateway's IP address (192.168.1.254) into a browser, I do not get to the settings page like I should. Instead I am given an error.

Please tell me how to get my connection to the gateway working. I am really getting irked by the horrible instructions that came with my installation package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:13 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Please open a command window and use ipconfig to tell us what your PC's current settings are. You can this as follows:

Win+R opens a Run dialog. Type cmd in the dialog box and hit Enter to open a Command window.
    In the new window, at the Command prompt, type ipconfig /all
    Cut and paste the results of that command into a post here so we can examine it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:23 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

quick steps, just in case you missed any:

put the DSL filters on ALL other phone/fax/answering machine lines in the house.

plug ethernet cable directly from DSL modem to computer (forget any router at this point)

run the install disk

let it do its stuff.. follow prompts

once it goes online (can take a while to sync with the DSLAM) and youre registered you can plug the router in (DSL to WAN [internet] port, any other ports to PCs)

then uninstall all the ATT crap and tell your TCP/IP connection to use Automatically Assigned DNS and Automatically Assigned IP, unless you want to get fancy with static IPs, port forwarding and such.

worked for me, anyway..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:38 pm 

I figured it out. It wound up being an exception in my firewall that made the firewall active for the LAN even though the firewall was supposed to be off. The weird thing was that although the gateway returned all pings without lost packets, I could not connect to the gateway in my browsers (FF or IE). Everything works now.