Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is my co-worker BSing?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:09 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

My co-worker said he programmed his modem so that he's getting free internet.

Is he bullshitting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:04 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Most likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Yeah, I do not know ANYONE on the internet that can do what the hell he's talking about. he's on vacation, so I can't really question how he did it.

Or maybe he's talking about his wireless picking up an unlocked wi fi signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:15 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have herd that there are some hacks that can open up the modem to give you full bandwidth that ISP is capable off,but im not into shit like that.

Ps i think this should be locked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:17 am 
I like dinosaurs
I like dinosaurs

It's possible he's hacked his modem to give unrestricted bandwidth, in which case it won't be long until the ISP bans him entirely. It's also POSSIBLE he is doing something shady to get free internet, but he's almost certainly blowing smoke up your pooper.

Post subject: Re: Is my co-worker BSing?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:38 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Koopsta Knicca wrote:

Is he bullshitting?

:lol:

That is freakin' hilarious.

I rebuilt my jeep so it doesn't use gas. It burns air and exhales clean water that I bottle and sell to hippies. Oh, and I use all-organic tires and seat covers.

Also, I replaced the motor oil with extra-virgin olive oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Koopsta Knicca wrote:

Somehow I think this is the most likely possibility, he's just trying to sound like one of them l33t h@x0r on the intertubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:47 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

bathtbgin wrote:
Koopsta Knicca wrote:

Somehow I think this is the most likely possibility, he's just trying to sound like one of them l33t h@x0r on the intertubes.

Yeah, he's got a reputation at work as the "computer guy." He hacks xboxes, wiis, etc..

I have NEVER heard of anyone hacking a cable modem to get free internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That is because hacking a cable modem to get free internet isn't possible.

Well, actually, I have thought of one way that it might work .. though I've a feeling that someone will correct me and point out the flaw in my plan soon enough. Also, this plan is completely impractical.

So .. the only way that I can imagine to steal free internet is to spoof the MAC address of a cable modem that is in the same block as yours. That way the ISP thinks that Joe CheapThief is actually Fred Pays-Hisbills.

To do this, though, you'd have to ensure that the other cable modem is disconnected ... and Fred wouldn't like that.

That might work ... if you can pull it off.

Otherwise, stealing someone's wireless is probably the best explanation for your co-worker's claim other than the obvious: he is a lying sack of crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

According to several articles I've found with a quick google search, it IS possible. However, according to THIS article, it only took SIX HOURS for the ISP to catch him and ban him permanently. Either this dood is BS'ing, or he's in for a nasty surprise when he gets back from vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:51 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

bigtoyota479 wrote:
According to several articles I've found with a quick google search, it IS possible. However, according to THIS article, it only took SIX HOURS for the ISP to catch him and ban him permanently. Either this dood is BS'ing, or he's in for a nasty surprise when he gets back from vacation.

There's a big difference between modding a modem to get free Internet and modding one to increase bandwidth. Most Cable ISP's have a server side initiation of service input required, in other words....a "switch" be thrown, to start up your Internet service. They can turn it on and off at will from their end, without a visit to your home.

Bandwidth can also be adjusted from the ISP. But this is also locally stored on Cable modems, or used to be anyway. It is my impression the ISP's did away with those kinds of cable modems a couple years ago and service/bandwidth is only adjusted from the ISP side.

In today's technology terms, I would imagine messing around in this fashion takes a hell of a lot more ability than what most of us have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:40 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Ok, apparently he's not BSing.

He installed some kind of modchip on his modem. Says they only work on 2 types of Motorola modems. I'm guessing he's "spoofing" his IP or mac address.

He's been charging people $300 to do this. So far, there's 2 people that had him do it and they say it works. There's no bandwidth cap, either. The only thing about it is that the other guys say it's unreliable. Sometimes they lose internet connection for a whole day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

I still call BS, but whatever, even if it is possible, what's really the point?

Post subject: Re: Is my co-worker BSing?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Koopsta Knicca wrote:

Is he bullshitting?

He may be, but with the hackers the way they are today (I don't know how computer-savvy your friend is) it may very well be possible, especially if you used some spoofing/masking tools to make it think it was someone else's.
I'm not an expert on the Internet connectivity and modem functionality details, but it could be true. I'd tend to lean more to toward the side of BSing.

i don't know. Never tried it and Never intend to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:44 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If he's telling the truth, your co-worker is a thief, plain and simple. I hope the ISPs catch him and ban him for life. Stealing cable Internet is no different from stealing cable TV or any other utility. Since he has a job, why don't he just pay for it like every other decent human being? He's stealing from the cable co and from the people that are stupid enough to pay him.

/rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

And on that wonderfully accurate note, this thread is closed. Thanks for summing up my feelings so I didn't have to rant, Queen. :)

(I still think he is BSing)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]