Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Download from Unknown source; What is recommended?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:35 am 

Although this is going to sound like a newbie question (I'm not), I felt compelled to get other opinions on this matter.

A PC savvy friend sent a link to a Hungarian Streaming Radio site that requires a plugin for WMP to function. I have never heard of this Radio site before. The Ogg plugin was actually hosted on their servers, and was not a link back to Sourceforge or similar.

Now the sender is very adept at Linux and eschews anything Windows and does not use Windows on a regular basis. He had sent this link to another friend who I'd consider a regular Win PC user, not a tinkerer.

I responded:

"I'm pretty sure that site is safe (I investigated it), but I would be a little careful next time. A lot of drive-by malware is hosted by websites in Eastern Europe.....What got me a little suspicious is the codec downloads are hosted by xxxxx.hu. I would be more comfortable if the codec links were direct from SourceForge, or some other known entity."

So, am I being too paranoid? I got back a response that suggested I was xenophobic and that I had NO evidence that this Hungarian web site was involved in anything nefarious.

PS, please be kind in any comments. The root of the question was I offbase that one should be cautious downloading a codec from an unknown Radio site direct, especially one from Eastern europe? Would you recommend an average PC user to do so? (No offense to Hungary, as I've been to Budapest and it's a beautiful country and great people.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath

in my opinion, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Also, a google search can let you know how safe (or not) "an entity" would be so after alittle research you would know what to do.

And like you did, you can always ask.