Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WebSite migration
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:14 pm 

Hi, posting to see what you guys think of this project of mine and if you have any advice or answers for me. Thank you.

My uncle runs a nonprofit group that currently has their website hosted and administrated by the same guy from his own web hosting company. There’s been some hostility between the two in the past and now my uncle is looking elsewhere for hosting. He’s asked me to take over administrating the site and migrating it to another web host.

The website is an information type with links to an e commerce site for donations. After researching potential hosts I selected one that I believe fits all the criteria that we need. Where I think the problem will lay is with the current web host because he’s been doing the administration my uncle doesn’t have ftp access.

Should I ask the web host as politely as possible to upload it to the web host I choose or have him back up the website content to a disc and I upload at home? My issue is I would have to give out the ftp account information for him to upload it and I don’t think I should trust him with it but I could change the password once it’s done. Since my uncle has been paying the dues for the website, domain name registration and the e commerce account the web host can’t refuse to do this can he?

Secondly how is transferring the domain name carried out exactly? The current web host releases it for the new one? Or do I have to talk to the domain name register on switching it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:34 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

First, if you have the password for the site I would consider doing a reverse publish to your local machine. Then save the web to a disk (DVD).

Next, things can get tricky. Who actually registered and owns the domain? Your uncle or the WPP (Web Presence Provider)? If you are unsure, you can try a DNS Lookup or a Who Is to get that information.

Then comes the small print in any agreements signed for the web. Things like contract periods and such. Sometimes a WPP is very unwilling to release a web (domain).

On a bright note some hosting companies will take care of everything for you so check with the new hosting company.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:43 pm 

The way it was done was that my uncle would send site updates to the web host and he would put it on the site. So he doesn't have access to it at all.

Secondly from a whois search everything is in the web hosts name. So I would have to have the web host ok the transfers? But since my uncle has everything saved from making the payments to him, he could show that in case the current web host doesn't want to be very forth coming?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:10 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

From what you say, the webhost owns the domain. That leaves you little choice other than to try and deal with the webhost. That would be your starting point.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:34 am 

Then that's what ill do. Thank you for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:54 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

skynet192 wrote:
My uncle runs a nonprofit group that currently has their website hosted and administrated by the same guy from his own web hosting company. There’s been some hostility between the two in the past and now my uncle is looking elsewhere for hosting. He’s asked me to take over administrating the site and migrating it to another web host.

The website is an information type with links to an e commerce site for donations. After researching potential hosts I selected one that I believe fits all the criteria that we need. Where I think the problem will lay is with the current web host because he’s been doing the administration my uncle doesn’t have ftp access.

Should I ask the web host as politely as possible to upload it to the web host I choose or have him back up the website content to a disc and I upload at home? My issue is I would have to give out the ftp account information for him to upload it and I don’t think I should trust him with it but I could change the password once it’s done. Since my uncle has been paying the dues for the website, domain name registration and the e commerce account the web host can’t refuse to do this can he?

Secondly how is transferring the domain name carried out exactly? The current web host releases it for the new one? Or do I have to talk to the domain name register on switching it?

Before getting involved in a confrontation, I would back the site up as good as you can. You can either save it via the URL or you can grab the view source code, then back that up.

I used to have frontpage, I remember saving a web site, then opening it in front page & being able to work on it, then upload it to another host.

The problem is, that while your uncle is paying for everything, the "webmaster" probably owns everything, including the layout. Once you (not meaning you) confront him, he'll probably disable it since there is hostility already. Chances are that even if you do back it up, you can't reuse his "design" but you could change it. lol

I also don't doubt that he won't give you the domain either.

FWIW, people that need web sites built, should make sure everything is in their name verses letting someone else do it.

Good luck

skynet192 wrote:
Secondly from a whois search everything is in the web hosts name. So I would have to have the web host ok the transfers? But since my uncle has everything saved from making the payments to him, he could show that in case the current web host doesn't want to be very forth coming?

How long before the domain expires?