Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I've got some people
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:22 am 
Northwood
Northwood

There are some persons I know whom have a server, and it seems that they are using way too much memory for their teeny little site. So much so that the server can't handle the users due to memory limit and sometimes gives the following error:

Internal Server Error (500)

[custom message]
Most likely, if you are seeing this, you're not the only one. After moving to a private server, we've found out that for some reason we use about 700-800 MB of RAM average. The cost of this is $80/mo in addition to our base hosting fee. If we lower the minimum memory limit, then the processes will be denied memory. We're not sure why so much memory is being used for this little site, or why all of a sudden we're having more issues with minimum memory limits when we're on a PRIVATE SERVER as opposed to the SHARED SERVER we were on before. We also tried switching back, but they say we're using too many resources.
[/custom message]

Everything they have tried seems to have been fail so I was wondering if you knew anything on how they might fix it, their site is at:

www.modacity.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I think a company called iWeb Fusion is the beset web hosting out there. They offer great plans that are super cheap and their tech support is steller. Have them take a look at these guys:

http://www.iwebfusion.net/
I use them personally and they are the best web host I have seen. And I have tried a lot. I don't think I will be looking anymore. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:39 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Without spending time there looking around, one guess is I wonder if they have images being hotlinked to other sites.

I would try a few of these sites:

Web Page Analyzer

Google search website analyzer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Hotlinked images will affect the amount of bandwidth being used but it will have no effect on the amount of RAM being used by your webserver.

Apache is a memory hog and if it is not properly configured it can easily suck up a gig of RAM or more.

Here is a guide to help you configure apache properly.

You're running a lot on that site and I'll be surprised if you can get it to run under 800MB ... but with proper tuning it is possible.