Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: internet security camera?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:34 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Im looking to put a internet camera in my mother in laws house, partly to monitor her in case of accidents, partly to check on care givers etc. she and the caregivers have full knowledge of this, Im not looking for any stealth stuff. this would be indoor only.

what I would like is a stand alone system (single camera with I/R and sound preferably) that will plug right into a DSL modem without needing a router or computer. once I have the IP of the modem, I or others can just log onto it and check things out. obviously if the IP changes I would need to know the new one but I plan on just temporarily plugging a laptop into the modem to get the IP (initial and/or changed).

Ive seen a few that seem to fit the bill but I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with any and what they thought of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:37 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I would definitely want to have more than just a straight internet connection to the camera. You should be required to long in or anybody could find it... not giving out the IP is not enough.

Sorry I didn't answer the question directly, but I really think you should consider some more security other than what you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:10 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

from what Ive been reading (still learning) the cameras Im considering do have security logins.

heres one Im looking at:

link

you would need the IP, name and password to access it. similar ones have 2 way audio, pan & tilt and IR.

a lot of them dont really mention security, and there seem to be bucket loads of internet camaers out there.. hard to sift through :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:12 am 

Usually an IP camera comes with web setup interface. You could simply use that to set up IP address, username, password. There are brands like trendnet, zonet, axis, dlink, linksys, ...etc. If you live around frys from time to time they offer their airlink brand for sale. For other brands here is a link to newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=288&name=Security-Surveillance

There is a review on maximumpc website on one of the trendnet ip cam, check that out.

Unless your dsl modem has a router build in, otherwise it won't work. Just like computers, IP cam is a device with a little computer with a cam build in. You need to type in the internal IP address (example: 192.168.1.254)to access the web setup utility. Since you probably need to access from outside, the web interface also give you the option to do so. It may require a little network knowledge though, not too hard.

If you are not going to do any direct recording to a desktop computer, then there's no need to install any software.

Of course the web setup utility has the option to upload pictures in jpg format and/or video clips mjpg or mpeg4 format (depends on cam) to a specified server, or email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:27 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I wound up buying the one I linked to in my post above.

it works as you described, it has a web server built in and doesnt need a router or computer, it plugs right into the DSL modem.

initial setup was on my home network plugged into the router. the systems server box (2"x3" or so, with an LCD display) tells you the gateway, its internal IP and subnet settings. I upgraded the firmware, set the accounts up, set the DNS servers, email servers and accounts and will later set up an FTP server on one of my home boxes for it to upload video to when triggered by motion (it supports two cams on its server box, Ill set another cam up at the front door with the motion detection on later). checked it all out here - much to my cats amusement due to activating its "patrol mode" which automatically pans/tilts to all extremes.

then I went to the MILs house, used my notebook to get the net IP, unplugged the notebook and plugged the system directly into the DSL modem. it automatically set itself up with the DSL modems PPPoE connection, told me the gateway was the modem and listed the internal IP etc, not that it was needed for that setup. I just log in over the net using its net IP, ID/password and *presto* Im in.

activeX or Java is used to control the pan/tilt, but any browser can access the video, just need the IP, name and password. accounts can be set up as administrator (can change settings and pan/tilt), operator (can pan/tilt) or video only (just watch). multiple accounts can be logged in at once and a dedicated LED lets you know someone is watching.

it does motion detection with email notification (with pics) or FTP video upload at a user set frame rate etc and can be set to record on motion or just plain record at particular times. individual users can also be locked out at particular times.

seems to work well for what we want.

Pros: cheap, easy to set up, lots of features (more than Ive listed here), stand alone, no external router or computer needed (if the DSL/cable modem has router built in). server supports 2 cameras (they plug in via USB ports).

Cons: cheap, video quality isnt the best, manual focus. indoor use only.

since this is my 1st time doing this its been (and still is) a learning experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 am 

That's good the camera is working for you :)

I have used AXIS cameras for this purpose as well and they are very reliable - especially when the camera is in a remote location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:33 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

thanks for the heads up on axis.

everything is still running fine, its survived a couple power failures (comes back up fine on its own, it reports its IP to a central server maintained by lorex), and on occasion I need to Restart it remotely (image doesnt come up sometimes) but its doing it job.

however I dont like how hot the control module gets and Im not real thrilled with the image quality, so if I redo it Ill look into the axis stuff.