Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: WTF?! Comcast Sucks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:40 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 60
INSERT LARGE STING OF RUDE WORDS HERE!

I truly thought that some law would stop this Bull**** from happening. It really scares me.



Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

We appreciate your business and strive to provide you with the best online experience possible. One of the ways we do this is through our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). The AUP outlines acceptable use of our service as well as steps we take to protect our customers from things that can negatively impact their experience online. This policy has been in place for many years and we update it periodically to keep it current with our customers' use of our service.

On October 1, 2008, we will post an updated AUP that will go into effect at that time.

In the updated AUP, we clarify that monthly data (or bandwidth) usage of more than 250 Gigabytes (GB) is the specific threshold that defines excessive use of our service. We have an excessive use policy because a fraction of one percent of our customers use such a disproportionate amount of bandwidth every month that they may degrade the online experience of other customers.

250 GB/month is an extremely large amount of bandwidth and it's very likely that your monthly data usage doesn't even come close to that amount. In fact, the threshold is approximately 100 times greater than the typical or median residential customer usage, which is 2 to 3 GB/month. To put it in perspective, to reach 250 GB of data usage in one month a customer would have to do any one of the following:

* Send more than 50 million plain text emails (at 5 KB/email);
* Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song); or
* Download 125 standard definition movies (at 2 GB/movie).

And online gamers should know that even the heaviest multi- or single-player gaming activity would not typically come close to this threshold over the course of a month.

In addition to modifying the excessive use policy, the updated AUP contains other clarifications of terms concerning reporting violations, newsgroups, and network management. To read some helpful FAQs, please visit http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/Fre ... essive-Use.

Thank you again for choosing Comcast as your high-speed Internet provide


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:59 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
What is your point? They have a service and you are free to pay for it or go to a different service provider.

The fact that you want to legislate how a company does business is disgusting. Shall we force McDonald's to include free cheese on all their burgers because you like cheese and you don't think that it is fair to pay for it?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:28 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:10 pm
Posts: 868
This is old news: http://www.maximumpc.com/tags/comcast

I'd switch providers if I were you (if you can.) If I'm paying for broadband, I want unlimited downloading at the speed I payed for.

Then again, it's not like it actually costs the company $20 per person to provide these services.


AJ


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
CTskifreak wrote:
Then again, it's not like it actually costs the company $20 per person to provide these services.


So? Profit is integral in a captialist economy.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:29 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:23 am
Posts: 2628
Location: Folding as BlackSun59
Sorry to look like a corporate ass-kisser, but I do think Comcast is not terribly out of line when they say 250GB a month is sufficient. I happen to agree. It's the customers of ISPs like TimeWarner or others that are imposing limits of just 5GB per month that I think are getting well and truly screwed.

Unlimited DSL, anyone? :twisted: Verizon specifically stated that unlike other ISPs that are implementing limits because their infrastructure's getting overloaded, they simply add to their network so as to not have to impose limits on anyone. It's because their networks use different implementations than cable providers. God, I love my phone company.

Face it. Anyone that uses up 250GB a month is probably a spammer or big-time illegal P2P'er.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Exactly.

250GB is an insane amount of bandwidth that can only be consumed by downloading a ridiculous amount of media and software.

Even downloading legitimate software would consume only a small chunk of that. The biggest linux distros fit onto a single DVD .. so that leaves 241GB after downloading an entire OS.

Basically, complaining about this is complaining that you aren't allowed to steal A LOT anymore. Suck it up, princess.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:34 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm
Posts: 7895
When it comes to Comcast, I can think of a lot of reasons OTHER THAN a limitation on monthly bandwidth usage that would drive me away from them.

Bandwidth is a limited, finite commodity at this point. If you owned a fast food joint, just how many refills would you want someone having each day? If a guy were to come into your place and drink 100 cups of Coke everyday, costing you more than 99% of the other customers, what would you do? Would you end up putting up a sign limiting people to ten refills because ONE percent of you customers think "Free Refills" means it's perfectly OK to erode your profits? And yeah, it's the point of the matter, not the fact that no one is drinking 100 cups of Coke from the same place each day. And the fact that this 1% of customers is causing the other 99% to be affected doesn't disturb you? Gimmie a break.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WTF?! Comcast Sucks.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:39 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27370
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
No1sadvocate wrote:
INSERT LARGE STING OF RUDE WORDS HERE!


Like what? Like, OH MY FUCKING GOD I'M BREAKING THE GOD DAMN LAW AND GOT CAUGHT!

:?:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:08 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:38 am
Posts: 60
Well I didn't expect the douche bag gallery but O.K.

Its not really the fact that I will go over that limit it's:

The fact that i fork over $50 a month for this service

I Have had them at my house 3-5 times in the last year

I had time warner until 2 years ago when they were purchased by Comcast

The continue to take channels away from my TV service

Their customer service is shit.

The only other choice I have is DSL

They just spent Millions laying fiber in my area so they don't really need to place limits anyways.

Our Phones are through the internet.

If I want to use a ton of bandwidth then by god I will.

The Entire Idea that the internet is no longer unlimited.

To those of you who say, I could have it worse: I agree. But I also think that the limit will slowly be lowered as they get more customers that are lemmings and will allow themselves to get raped.

To those of you who say that it's their choice: Well, yes. It is but it's also not what I signed up to pay $50 a month for.

Jipstyle wrote:
Suck it up, princess.


Fuck you.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm
Posts: 7895
No1sadvocate wrote:
Well I didn't expect the douche bag gallery but O.K.
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, insult.


Quakindude wrote:
When it comes to Comcast, I can think of a lot of reasons OTHER THAN a limitation on monthly bandwidth usage that would drive me away from them.


You got bagged because you're bitching about something that's relatively common sense. Limiting what you get for a set price. Instead, you wait till AFTER us "douche bags" get through pointing out the obvious before you really *think* about why Comcast sucks so badly. Do you have other options? If so, then why don't you change your ISP?

If you choose to stay with Comcast, then suck it up princess. And fuck you too.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:26 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27370
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
No1sadvocate wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Suck it up, princess.


Fuck you.


Oops. See you in three days, princess.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:59 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm
Posts: 24339
Location: South of heaven
Quakindude wrote:
When it comes to Comcast, I can think of a lot of reasons OTHER THAN a limitation on monthly bandwidth usage that would drive me away from them.

Bandwidth is a limited, finite commodity at this point. If you owned a fast food joint, just how many refills would you want someone having each day? If a guy were to come into your place and drink 100 cups of Coke everyday, costing you more than 99% of the other customers, what would you do? Would you end up putting up a sign limiting people to ten refills because ONE percent of you customers think "Free Refills" means it's perfectly OK to erode your profits? And yeah, it's the point of the matter, not the fact that no one is drinking 100 cups of Coke from the same place each day. And the fact that this 1% of customers is causing the other 99% to be affected doesn't disturb you? Gimmie a break.
Ah, but the intention of the internet my friend...the intention.

At the beginning of the internet, bits were bits. It doesn't matter what it's used for or how many are used. If you pay for 7MB, you should get 7MB no matter what you use it for.

Counter points: If you pay for electricity, they should tell you that you can't use it on a TV and only for specific purposes like a Laundry Machine. If you pay for water, you should be able to do more than drink it or make ice. What if you were allowed water for the Laundry machine and not the electricity?

You pay for what you ask for, and if it's 7MB you should do whatever you want with those bits, no matter where they go. While this prick has an issue, it's still something to consider on our side. Net neutrality is a hot topic. What they should have to be more legal is an anti-server clause. 250G IS a lot, and equals about 30 full sized movies. Something is amiss if that's happening, and obviously illegal...they're just being nice in saying so.

But Comcast is missing an opportunity for overcharges. Tiers, just like every other utility. Peak usage, all that. But they're smart, and if that's in place, people should form a line of exodus. They still don't think they're a utility as much as a monopoly. More on that later.

However, I stand by the idea that I can do that with with their service. It's not their job to regulate the usage of their bandwidth as long as it's offered on the free market. You pay for a service, and you should get it. What if cars fell apart at exactly 100K miles? What if electricity shut off if you use 10MW a month? What if water shut off in xx,xxx gallons? It's a service, and you should just pay for the amount tallied, not cap usage. Or...clarify a non-server clause and not cap monthly/yearly bit usage.

Pay the bill, or shut it off. It's what happens with all other utilities. Jip's right, You're right, and dude has a way of bringing smiles to all our faces. Sadly, you can't just pick ISP's everywhere. You're forced to use one and only one vendor while they're "de-regulated" in the city. And not in the city and in a rural area? Good freaking luck getting anyone. To put a ruling like this in place is a choke hold that isn't fair. I've been forced to use Comcast, now I'm forced to use Time Warner. If I don't like it, I get nothing. That's my options. The ISP's should be treated as a utility. "Should" being the key word. I'm waiting for the day they're forced to be offered as a free market utility. Or hey, I kill their power because THEY'RE using too much. It's just a flick of the switch for me.

The answer here is still to be debated, but not by calling us douche bags. Name calling is the first sign of a non-logical debate. I only call my friends douch bags, that's why I call Spider Monkey "Spider Monkey". LOL ;)

The coke thing? Free Refill could be construed. Re-fill is not plural, and in working means one re-fill, not unlimited refills. The initial fill is just that, a fill. The free refill is that second one and no others. And the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, can step in and stop the 5th fill let alone the 99th. Alas, I'd welcome that guy even touching a profit on coke syrup. He'll not have a long life, and I can close the bathroom for cleaning (for 6 hours) and he'll have to leave. Then he has to pay again since he left :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:16 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm
Posts: 7895
Chumly wrote:
Quakindude wrote:
When it comes to Comcast, I can think of a lot of reasons OTHER THAN a limitation on monthly bandwidth usage that would drive me away from them.

Bandwidth is a limited, finite commodity at this point. If you owned a fast food joint, just how many refills would you want someone having each day? If a guy were to come into your place and drink 100 cups of Coke everyday, costing you more than 99% of the other customers, what would you do? Would you end up putting up a sign limiting people to ten refills because ONE percent of you customers think "Free Refills" means it's perfectly OK to erode your profits? And yeah, it's the point of the matter, not the fact that no one is drinking 100 cups of Coke from the same place each day. And the fact that this 1% of customers is causing the other 99% to be affected doesn't disturb you? Gimmie a break.
Ah, but the intention of the internet my friend...the intention.

At the beginning of the internet, bits were bits. It doesn't matter what it's used for or how many are used. If you pay for 7MB, you should get 7MB no matter what you use it for.

Counter points: If you pay for electricity, they should tell you that you can't use it on a TV and only for specific purposes like a Laundry Machine. If you pay for water, you should be able to do more than drink it or make ice. What if you were allowed water for the Laundry machine and not the electricity?

You pay for what you ask for, and if it's 7MB you should do whatever you want with those bits, no matter where they go. While this prick has an issue, it's still something to consider on our side. Net neutrality is a hot topic. What they should have to be more legal is an anti-server clause. 250G IS a lot, and equals about 30 full sized movies. Something is amiss if that's happening, and obviously illegal...they're just being nice in saying so.

But Comcast is missing an opportunity for overcharges. Tiers, just like every other utility. Peak usage, all that. But they're smart, and if that's in place, people should form a line of exodus. They still don't think they're a utility as much as a monopoly. More on that later.

However, I stand by the idea that I can do that with with their service. It's not their job to regulate the usage of their bandwidth as long as it's offered on the free market. You pay for a service, and you should get it. What if cars fell apart at exactly 100K miles? What if electricity shut off if you use 10MW a month? What if water shut off in xx,xxx gallons? It's a service, and you should just pay for the amount tallied, not cap usage. Or...clarify a non-server clause and not cap monthly/yearly bit usage.

Pay the bill, or shut it off. It's what happens with all other utilities. Jip's right, You're right, and dude has a way of bringing smiles to all our faces. Sadly, you can't just pick ISP's everywhere. You're forced to use one and only one vendor while they're "de-regulated" in the city. And not in the city and in a rural area? Good freaking luck getting anyone. To put a ruling like this in place is a choke hold that isn't fair. I've been forced to use Comcast, now I'm forced to use Time Warner. If I don't like it, I get nothing. That's my options. The ISP's should be treated as a utility. "Should" being the key word. I'm waiting for the day they're forced to be offered as a free market utility. Or hey, I kill their power because THEY'RE using too much. It's just a flick of the switch for me.

The answer here is still to be debated, but not by calling us douche bags. Name calling is the first sign of a non-logical debate. I only call my friends douch bags, that's why I call Spider Monkey "Spider Monkey". LOL ;)

The coke thing? Free Refill could be construed. Re-fill is not plural, and in working means one re-fill, not unlimited refills. The initial fill is just that, a fill. The free refill is that second one and no others. And the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, can step in and stop the 5th fill let alone the 99th. Alas, I'd welcome that guy even touching a profit on coke syrup. He'll not have a long life, and I can close the bathroom for cleaning (for 6 hours) and he'll have to leave. Then he has to pay again since he left :D


And what if, while people are defending this rather pathetic point, that because of people who would hog the limited resources of a company, we went to a billing system like South Korea? Back in 2002, your first 100Mb of traffic were included, then you had a charge of 10,000 won for every 10Mb over that, or prices similar to that.

As our usage of the Internet changes, so will the pricing structures. People who abuse the piss out of a connection will just hurry that along and make the whole process that much more painful for all involved.

And, of course, the asshats that want to abuse the system will be the loudest crybabies out there when those companies are saying....we TRIED to tell you....


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am
Posts: 1998
Quakindude wrote:

And what if, while people are defending this rather pathetic point, that because of people who would hog the limited resources of a company, we went to a billing system like South Korea? Back in 2002, your first 100Mb of traffic were included, then you had a charge of 10,000 won for every 10Mb over that, or prices similar to that.



we have that now, at least in wireless EVDO. verizon (the only wireless EVDO broadband service I can get here in the sticks) and sprint (its only real competitor) both have five gig caps (yes, thats 5 gigs, no typo) and charge per megabyte after that for new customers (old one like me are grandfathered in at true unlimited but they reserve the right to throttle me back.. although they havent yet and Ive hit 5-15 gigs on some months). us EVDO folks would give body parts for 250 gigs/month.

its The Suck but unfortunately it will probably become the norm.

I can see the point, why should my game ping go up because joe 24/7 p2p is sucking 500 gigs/month down (and clogging the pipe) and pays the same as I do when I only use 10 gigs. but then again, the contract does say "unlimited.."

be interesting (but probably not fun) to see how this plays out.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:07 am
Posts: 839
Location: Maryland
to reiterate my comment on the original article:

the limit was not published - people weren't happy.
the limit is now published - people still aren't happy.

Sorry about your customer service issues, but that has nothing to do with the newly-revealed bandwidth limits.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:44 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27370
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Chumly wrote:
Ah, but the intention of the internet my friend...the intention.

At the beginning of the internet, bits were bits. It doesn't matter what it's used for or how many are used. If you pay for 7MB, you should get 7MB no matter what you use it for.

Counter points: If you pay for electricity, they should tell you that you can't use it on a TV and only for specific purposes like a Laundry Machine. If you pay for water, you should be able to do more than drink it or make ice. What if you were allowed water for the Laundry machine and not the electricity?


The Intarwebs is a new frontier. I can put money on the fact that this same thing happened with the phone. That is why long-distance calling charges were invented.

Quote:
You pay for what you ask for, and if it's 7MB you should do whatever you want with those bits, no matter where they go. While this prick has an issue, it's still something to consider on our side. Net neutrality is a hot topic. What they should have to be more legal is an anti-server clause. 250G IS a lot, and equals about 30 full sized movies. Something is amiss if that's happening, and obviously illegal...they're just being nice in saying so.


No worries. I already called the frog a frog up above.

Quote:
But Comcast is missing an opportunity for overcharges. Tiers, just like every other utility. Peak usage, all that. But they're smart, and if that's in place, people should form a line of exodus. They still don't think they're a utility as much as a monopoly. More on that later.


How so, brah? I think OP has clearly been told in a legal fashion that he's about to take it up the ass.

Quote:
However, I stand by the idea that I can do that with with their service. It's not their job to regulate the usage of their bandwidth as long as it's offered on the free market. You pay for a service, and you should get it. What if cars fell apart at exactly 100K miles? What if electricity shut off if you use 10MW a month? What if water shut off in xx,xxx gallons? It's a service, and you should just pay for the amount tallied, not cap usage. Or...clarify a non-server clause and not cap monthly/yearly bit usage.


You get what you pay for. That is why the Eclipse ended up with a shot transmission after 30K in the late 90's. Dur.

Quote:
Pay the bill, or shut it off. It's what happens with all other utilities. Jip's right, You're right, and dude has a way of bringing smiles to all our faces. Sadly, you can't just pick ISP's everywhere. You're forced to use one and only one vendor while they're "de-regulated" in the city. And not in the city and in a rural area? Good freaking luck getting anyone. To put a ruling like this in place is a choke hold that isn't fair. I've been forced to use Comcast, now I'm forced to use Time Warner. If I don't like it, I get nothing. That's my options. The ISP's should be treated as a utility. "Should" being the key word. I'm waiting for the day they're forced to be offered as a free market utility. Or hey, I kill their power because THEY'RE using too much. It's just a flick of the switch for me.


This 'choke hold' as you put it is more than fair. It controls the abusers and lets the rest of us enjoy our Internets. This 'choke hold' should be implented in taxes and much more. It should also be involved in government funded leach holes that allow people to take advantage of the 'system'. Think about it, brah.

There isn't and shouldn't be any such thing as "Net Neutrality," as you put it, outside of the freedmon to say what you think with the boundries that our Constitution sets.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:33 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:41 am
Posts: 9316
Spider Monkey wrote:
No1sadvocate wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Suck it up, princess.


Fuck you.


Oops. See you in three days, princess.



Image


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:39 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Oh my ... that is the funniest awful picture I've seen today. :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:05 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27370
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
Looks to me like she liked that.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:21 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:29 pm
Posts: 6405
Location: N 47° 04.525 W 122° 17.315
Jipstyle wrote:
Suck it up, princess.


Oh shit, I laughed so hard it put me in tears. That line could have so many meanings.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group