When it comes to Comcast, I can think of a lot of reasons OTHER THAN a limitation on monthly bandwidth usage that would drive me away from them.
Bandwidth is a limited, finite commodity at this point. If you owned a fast food joint, just how many refills would you want someone having each day? If a guy were to come into your place and drink 100 cups of Coke everyday, costing you more than 99% of the other customers, what would you do? Would you end up putting up a sign limiting people to ten refills because ONE percent of you customers think "Free Refills" means it's perfectly OK to erode your profits? And yeah, it's the point of the matter, not the fact that no one is drinking 100 cups of Coke from the same place each day. And the fact that this 1% of customers is causing the other 99% to be affected doesn't disturb you? Gimmie a break.
Ah, but the intention of the internet my friend...the intention.
At the beginning of the internet, bits were bits. It doesn't matter what it's used for or how many are used. If you pay for 7MB, you should get 7MB no matter what you use it for.
Counter points: If you pay for electricity, they should tell you that you can't use it on a TV and only for specific purposes like a Laundry Machine. If you pay for water, you should be able to do more than drink it or make ice. What if you were allowed water for the Laundry machine and not the electricity?
You pay for what you ask for, and if it's 7MB you should do whatever you want with those bits, no matter where they go. While this prick has an issue, it's still something to consider on our side. Net neutrality is a hot topic. What they should have to be more legal is an anti-server clause. 250G IS a lot, and equals about 30 full sized movies. Something is amiss if that's happening, and obviously illegal...they're just being nice in saying so.
But Comcast is missing an opportunity for overcharges. Tiers, just like every other utility. Peak usage, all that. But they're smart, and if that's in place, people should form a line of exodus. They still don't think they're a utility as much as a monopoly. More on that later.
However, I stand by the idea that I can do that with with their service. It's not their job to regulate the usage of their bandwidth as long as it's offered on the free market. You pay for a service, and you should get it. What if cars fell apart at exactly 100K miles? What if electricity shut off if you use 10MW a month? What if water shut off in xx,xxx gallons? It's a service, and you should just pay for the amount tallied, not cap usage. Or...clarify a non-server clause and not cap monthly/yearly bit usage.
Pay the bill, or shut it off. It's what happens with all other utilities. Jip's right, You're right, and dude has a way of bringing smiles to all our faces. Sadly, you can't just pick ISP's everywhere. You're forced to use one and only one vendor while they're "de-regulated" in the city. And not in the city and in a rural area? Good freaking luck getting anyone. To put a ruling like this in place is a choke hold that isn't fair. I've been forced to use Comcast, now I'm forced to use Time Warner. If I don't like it, I get nothing. That's my options. The ISP's should be treated as a utility. "Should" being the key word. I'm waiting for the day they're forced to be offered as a free market utility. Or hey, I kill their power because THEY'RE using too much. It's just a flick of the switch for me.
The answer here is still to be debated, but not by calling us douche bags. Name calling is the first sign of a non-logical debate. I only call my friends douch bags, that's why I call Spider Monkey "Spider Monkey". LOL
The coke thing? Free Refill could be construed. Re-fill is not plural, and in working means one re-fill, not unlimited refills. The initial fill is just that, a fill. The free refill is that second one and no others. And the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason, can step in and stop the 5th fill let alone the 99th. Alas, I'd welcome that guy even touching a profit on coke syrup. He'll not have a long life, and I can close the bathroom for cleaning (for 6 hours) and he'll have to leave. Then he has to pay again since he left