Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DSL Light Flashing Red
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:26 pm 

well, i've had AT&T for about a month and a half now, but just this past week and a half my internet will cut out on me at random. I wont be able to load pages, games freeze... etc... I look down at the modem, and the DSL light is flashing red.

I have the 6mb/600kb connection and a Motorola 2210-02 modem.

No filter (didn't work with filter when I got it, since I dont have phones hooked up, they said i didn't need filters)

Modem Protocol: PPPoE

Plugged directly into laptop running XP Pro SP2.

Called tech support numerous times, told me to do obvious things like restart the modem, clear private data in browser, blah blah blah... nothin worked. Finally got a trouble ticket and scheduled a tech to come check it out.

Now, before, I had the phone line ran through a surge protector, which I have since learned is not good to do. So I took it off the surge protector, now it's direct from wall jack to modem.

Tech guy comes the next morning. Works fine all day. He sees no problems with it.

Now it's not working again, and i'm ready to rip the modem to shreds.

any ideas what could be wrong?

Overheating from too high usage? (been online all day, literally, playing games, working...)

Could my computer be the cause? I did just have the motherboard replaced with the same kind, installed same old hardware, didn't reinstall the OS or anything.... I doubt my computer is the cause as the modem will do that when i'm using my wife's laptop as well.

speedtest.net results are good, when I actually have a connection.

Is there more info you need that would be helpful? I dont know much of anything when it comes to this kind of stuff :(

EDIT: Right now I have my computer hardwired into my Linksys WRT54G2 router. My problem happens when i'm hard wired to router, wireless to router, and hard wired directly to modem.

thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:10 pm 

its the modem ive run into this before with dsl modems. it just takes some time for the provider (at&t) or who ever to give in and send u a rma #. keep with them til they do.
this is what the cause was for my problem, after 2 months of blinking red dsl light and calls to at&t just freaking pissed off i finally talked with a supervisor and demanded they rma my modem, when i sent the modem in the tech department said the modem powercord was not correct for that model, they had sent me a reboxed modem and charged my for a new 1. so them they were so sorry the sent a tech over with the new modem a 2wire sw1000 w/wireless for free. all has worked fine since then. and im still using the modem now but w/ peoplepc dsl 3008/512 speed.
hope this gives u some help.