All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does anyone one use VOIP?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:09 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

If you do use it do u like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:45 pm 

We do use VOIP phones at the office, but I don't really like or dislike them. At one point the phones refused to work with a standard dsl line (small office), but now they work well with T1. No problems, easy to use, but I just dont tend to get too excited about phones. I don't pay the bills, so I cant say anything about cost justification - no complaints though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:35 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

fojo86 wrote:
We do use VOIP phones at the office, but I don't really like or dislike them. At one point the phones refused to work with a standard dsl line (small office), but now they work well with T1. No problems, easy to use, but I just dont tend to get too excited about phones. I don't pay the bills, so I cant say anything about cost justification - no complaints though.

I would say that's definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) a positive comment. Basically you pick up the phone and it works. At some point you (your office) made the conversion from TDM to IP-based phone service and you didn't skip a beat...

I'm guessing the accountants might have a grin on their face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:03 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I used to use www.dialpad.com before they charged, and I liked it. Voice quality was pretty good, and the noyl thing bad was the lag (I called my home phone with dialpad and the lag was about a second!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:43 am 

I use VoIP at home, and have no problems with it. I use SIP phones, which I can take anywhere with me and still have my phone number, such as a hotel with a high-speed connection. SIP is cool because once the voip adapter gets an IP address from the network it's on, it communicates with a proxy server at the provider (called a session border controller), which essentially tells the voip equipment "I'm over here", so if someone calls my number the call gets routed through the session border controller and down to my voip adapter.

The only issue I've run into is using it behind some Cisco routers. There is a known bug in some versions of the Cisco IOS that has a problem with voip adapters going through NAT (network address translation), meaning that when I first got my voip I had to have a static IP from my ISP in order to make it work, and put the voip adapter outside of my firewall. I worked with Cisco and got updated code for my router and no longer have to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:57 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

SIP phones are cool....one bad thing tho is that unless the network you are on has decent UPS backup, you could lose your phone service.

..but then again I guess the same hold true for 2-wire VoIP phones connected to an IAD :?

anyway, bottom line is that quality has most definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) improved over the years and I think you will see monsterous bumps in the comming years regarding number of subscribers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:12 am 

HoOdY wrote:
..but then again I guess the same hold true for 2-wire VoIP phones connected to an IAD :?

That's what I had before, (Cisco ATA186). And stay away from Grandstream devices. I had nothing but problems with those pieces of garbage using them as SIP phones. Dropped connections in the middle of a call were commonplace. Never had that with any other device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:19 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

have one at home, it replaced my pots line and it works, pick up get dial tone, and it is crystal clear