Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: using both dsl and cable on a single computer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:14 am 

This may be a dumb question but, I was wondering if it were possible to have a computer use two internet connections instead of one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:59 am 
Team Member
Team Member

heh, i always wondered if you could use two CAT5 wires from a hub and make your connection faster...

i doubt it would work, but it would be pretty cool anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:18 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Only way I can think of is to use a proxy but even that's no even the easiest thing to do to direct traffer to one or the othe and you're still using two machines to some extent.

Post subject: Re: using both dsl and cable on a single computer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:09 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

recalcitrant wrote:
This may be a dumb question but, I was wondering if it were possible to have a computer use two internet connections instead of one?

Yup, a company called Nexland had a router with a dual WAN port for Cable and DSL. It had some hardcore DSP on the inside and handles all the load balencing between the two WAN ports.

http://www.nexland.com/

They were bought out by Symantec, but I think Symantec still sells the router, if not you might find them on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:36 am 

thanks for the info guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:45 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Just to throw my comments in....

Im at the hospital for a while, snuck onto there network, got caught, now im restricted to http access thru there proxy only. No biggie, just means i need to dial up to play any games, which sucks. Anyways, ive got LAN connected and dial up conneted to MSN. Whats cool is MSN messenger, AIM, yahoo and firefox will use the LAN connection to access the internet, email and games use the dial up, lol. Not too shabby, frees up bandwidth on the dial up for gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Couldn't you do this with say, the MSI K8nNeo2 Plainum? It has two different rj-45 ports, or, two different MAC addresses. In essence, windows XP would name these Local Area Connection 1 and 2. So just disable the one you choose not to use at the time, and surf with the other one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:23 am 

InstigatorX wrote:
Couldn't you do this with say, the MSI K8nNeo2 Plainum? It has two different rj-45 ports, or, two different MAC addresses. In essence, windows XP would name these Local Area Connection 1 and 2. So just disable the one you choose not to use at the time, and surf with the other one.

Thats what ive done with one of mine. I drag it back and forth between home and the hospital. Hospital uses proxies and manual IPs, so i just stuck another nic in there and assigned it all the info. Then when i get home, i disable that one and enable the other one.

In the beginning, I had just the 1 connection set to automaticly obtain the info, then if it couldnt find anything, it would assing the hospital info. This worked as well, but took to long to get a connection at the hospital. Computer would site there for a minute or 2 searching for an IP. Ive found that disabling/enablic 2 diff nics was much quicker.