Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

^

Hehe I am a Broadband Technician level 2 for Charter Communications.

But seriously that line hasn't been dedicated or you have low signal off the tap. Something like poor signal @ tap would be caused by a poor feeder connector (water, short) or water in tap...

Also another clue that gives it away is your poor downstream signal which is -5. Downstream or the broadcast signal is what is sent from the headend, first to fiber, then to trunk cable, then to feeder cable, then from a tap on the feeder to a drop going into your residence. You want that signal to be above +2 dbmv to allow for fluctuations. This is why your modem is kicking off and on. Once that signal hits your modem, your modem actually amplifies the signal back, in what is called the return path, back to the headend. This effectively enables two way communications (downstream, upstream)-the internet through cable.

IF your modem is unable to amp around 54 and below, and instead amps 58, 59 dbmv, it's simply "too far" from the headend and the poor return signal 58, 59 is just not enough "juice" to allow it to travel back to the headend. So your modem gives up and poops out. Make sense?

Post subject: Re: Yeah
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Flowbee wrote:
Some time ago I replaced the standard Time Warner cable with more expensive cable. I did this despite the fact that my cable reception was fine. But that didn't help. I changed it back to the "authorized" Time Warner cable. So I know it is not the cable. And if it was the cable why would it only happen at night.

Right now my connection is actually working because it is day - now it's working. 2 hours ago was a different story. That is what puzzles me.

Could be water in a splitter, tap, etc. Those signal levels you showed are too low to work a modem. The line appears to not be dedicated. IT probobly isnt the "cable" per se. I imagine the actual cable is good, it's just that you are not on a two way splitter straight from the drop. Can you go out side your home and follow the line from the pole or pedestal to where the cable comes into your home? If so, follow that line and tell me the first passive device it runs into, ground block or splitter. IF it isn't first running into a two way or unbalanced three way splitter (two 7 db legs and one 3.5 db leg), then right there is your problem. Trace that modem line out and put one leg on a two way splitter.

IF it IS, then is the splitter old, damaged? Splitters should be rated for 5-1000 MHz. IF anything less, change it, or have your cable company do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Wow thats pretty cool instigator.

BTW do you cable technicians get any special premium cable plans? I remember my friend saying that lots of comcast technicians had uncapped cable modems :twisted: That was a very tempting prospect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:11 am 
Willamette
Willamette

^ I get free cable/internet and a company vehicle. My Internet is 3.0 mbps however in my area we can offer up to 6 mbps, so mine isn't uncapped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I was more interested in the upstream :twisted:

You telling me you don't have any friends in the control rooms that can overlook these things for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, I have out network engineers user name and password! (But dare I use it, hell no!)

We offer businesses 1.5 Mbps up, but mine is only 256 kbps up....

Thats fine for me, I only use FTP every now and then. not a big bittorrent user...yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

My only thought is have you tried to use the USB hookup instead of the cat5?

I have to wonder if that port is starting to crap out.

and are you using the time provided ISP or is this some Brand Z ISP that's providing you some sort of service like we see in some areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:14 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I just got a docsis 2.0 modem that we are test and it is provisioned at 30 mbs per sec down and 10 mbits up, and i also have the new wireless/router/modem and testing that but at 8 mbps and 1 mbps, yea up in canada we give our customer 8 mbps and 512kbits up, as default which is pretty quick