Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Walmart :)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Was in a Walmart today.. there was a poor guy who was about to buy himself a Compaq computer. My girlfriend and I walked by him talking about how it's just plain silly to buy a computer from a place like Walmart

1) Most of the Walmart people have no idea what's inside them
2) Most of the Walmart people could not fix the system if there was problems
3) Most of the Walmart people don't care about the products in their store...
4) They're overpriced and better deals could be had elsewhere.
5) They come with a 15 day warranty, instead of a 1-5 year warranty that other companies offer.

etc etc.

The guy looked a little worried after hearing us. He kept looking at his system he was about to buy, then at us.

My girlfriend and I walked back to the electronics section and were looking at video games and the like. At that point the guy who was buying the computer came back to the electronics section with a Walmart employee and they began searching for something the guy had lost.

Nearby there was a neatly stacked pile of computers in boxes... the same model the guy who was searching for his lost item had. The Walmart guy literally ran and jumped ON to the pile of boxes, knocking one over. He then proceeded to stand ON TOP of said boxes, and looked around the area for whatever the guy was missing.

The guy who was buying the computer then asked the Walmart guy if he often searches for lost articles by standing on the computers. The scary part?

Walmart guy: "Yes I do."

The dude buying the system promptly returned it to the pile and left the store.

lol, it was kind of funny to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:08 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I am trying to figure out how much truth lies in this story. I think the manager would have found out or a customer would of complained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:49 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You think it's a lie?

The guy who was going to buy a system returned it and left. Deciding not to buy an $800 item is a pretty big complaint I would say.

> I think the manager would have found out or a customer would of > complained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:39 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Complained about the staff jumping on the computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:11 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

right.......................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:52 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

And what doese this thread have to do with the internet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:15 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

gamerfreak wrote:
I am trying to figure out how much truth lies in this story. I think the manager would have found out or a customer would of complained.

Truth is always stranger or more retarded than fiction

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:01 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

gamerfreak: you don't have to believe me on this if you don't want to. it was a true story. i know it sounds like it could be fake, but I was there and I don't believe anyone else here was. If you search for any other posts on this board from me, you will find that every one of them tries to offer helpful advice, ask meaningful questions or tell humourous stories about the computer world. I have never ever been involved in any flame wars, or tried to troll for anything that would cause trouble on this board. I merely saw something which I found to be kind of funny yet pretty sad and I felt that some of the members in this forum might want to hear about it.

Also, just because I personally didn't see anyone complain about the guy on the computers doesn't mean no one did complain. I'm sure the guy who returned the computer he was purchasing had a few choice words. I know I would.

As for your question about what this has to do with the Internet, there didn't seem to be any other forum more appropriate for this thread. If the moderators thought it shouldn't be here, they would have removed it or moved it elsewhere. What do free motherboards have to do with the Internet? There are threads about that in the Internet Truckstop as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:41 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
Quote:
What do free motherboards have to do with the Internet? There are threads about that in the Internet Truckstop as well.

thats what i said and people got mad at me. they said oh yeah well b/c of him i bought one. well they should be checking newegg everyday in the first place if they want a good priced thing. it said on maximum pc.
but i do think this could belong in the lifestyle lounge or possibly even the hardware haven.
i must agree with others that this is pretty hard to believe. esp. with all those weird ass things slinkywizard (guess on name) says. but its still believable. some people are pretty stupid :roll: :shock: :roll:

Post subject: Re: Walmart :)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:23 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

fuzz_64 wrote:
Was in a Walmart today.. there was a poor guy who was about to buy himself a Compaq computer. My girlfriend and I walked by him talking about how it's just plain silly to buy a computer from a place like Walmart

1) Most of the Walmart people have no idea what's inside them
2) Most of the Walmart people could not fix the system if there was problems
3) Most of the Walmart people don't care about the products in their store...
4) They're overpriced and better deals could be had elsewhere.
5) They come with a 15 day warranty, instead of a 1-5 year warranty that other companies offer.

etc etc.

The guy looked a little worried after hearing us. He kept looking at his system he was about to buy, then at us.

My girlfriend and I walked back to the electronics section and were looking at video games and the like. At that point the guy who was buying the computer came back to the electronics section with a Walmart employee and they began searching for something the guy had lost.

Nearby there was a neatly stacked pile of computers in boxes... the same model the guy who was searching for his lost item had. The Walmart guy literally ran and jumped ON to the pile of boxes, knocking one over. He then proceeded to stand ON TOP of said boxes, and looked around the area for whatever the guy was missing.

The guy who was buying the computer then asked the Walmart guy if he often searches for lost articles by standing on the computers. The scary part?

Walmart guy: "Yes I do."

The dude buying the system promptly returned it to the pile and left the store.

lol, it was kind of funny to watch.

I believe this story is true.

I have been into a Walmart around my area. I only go because my mother and sister shop there. As soon I go in, I go my seperate way and head on over to computers, electronics, dvd's, etc... I personally wouldn't buy anything there.

I, however, feel you could of help the guy out. You obviously know more about computers and you said yourself most of your posts offers helpful advice. That could have been your good deed for the day.

Anyway, people should know better than to buy a computer from a Walmart type of store.

-misterLOBY

Post subject: Re: Walmart :)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:13 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You're right, I could have helped the guy out. I thought about it but I'm really just not good at walking up to a random stranger I don't know and telling him what could be a better idea than his current one. The only other stores in the city that I know of that carry computers are actual computer stores (2 Best Buys, a few Future Shops, and the smaller stores which custom build your systems). While I still wouldn't reccomend BB or FS to purchase a system, I would suggest them over Walmart.. they are meant to be technology stores, not a store trying to sell everything possible for lower prices.

misterLOBY wrote:
I, however, feel you could of help the guy out. You obviously know more about computers and you said yourself most of your posts offers helpful advice. That could have been your good deed for the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:08 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Interesting. If the guy stood on the boxes, there should have been shoe marks you'd think. I am the type of person that would have found a manager & complained.

As for buying a computer from Walmart; would I? Yeah, I might if I didn't build. The computer is covered by the factory warrenty.

Post subject: It's probably 100% true.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:38 am 

I actually, and unfortunatly, work at a Wal-Mart store, and this is exactly the kind of thing that happens in my store.