Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FEEL the power of bit torrent.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://a.scarywater.net/animeheaven/

check out episode 102... 300 MB OF BANDWIDTH ACTIELY IN USE! Imagine the hosting fees to spread this file to a crowd of this size. I'll bet it gets higher before tommorrow.

BTW this is legit, its unliscensed in america so its free to download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

u do realize that torrents do not actually consume all of that bandwidth on one server. That site is tracking the total bandwidth between ALL of the people seeding and downloading that file at that moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:05 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

deenko wrote:
u do realize that torrents do not actually consume all of that bandwidth on one server. That site is tracking the total bandwidth between ALL of the people seeding and downloading that file at that moment.

Yes. That was the point of the thread genius, to show the power of bit torrent, namely its ability to transfer massive amounts of data without overloading a server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

so with 3800 seeders, and 3700 downloaders and a total bandwith of 345MB/s roughly translates to 368kb/s per user. (if load is spread evenly to make themath easier) not all that bad......

Quote:
Imagine the hosting fees to spread this file to a crowd of this size

for any one host.

unless you are talking about....... the cost each user pays for their connection.... but that is just silly to think about now, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:47 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I believe what he is implying is that bit torrent rocks -- it would cost a lot of money for 345 MB/s of bandwidth if you had one server giving it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:20 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
I believe what he is implying is that bit torrent rocks -- it would cost a lot of money for 345 MB/s of bandwidth if you had one server giving it out.

Ya, I did jump the gun a little too fast and judged too quicky. After doing the BitTorrent_help@yahoogroups.com thing for a while, I kind of am less tolerant of any post like that. It is not that uncommen for certain anime torrents to reach 500 MB/s in their peak. It is also even more impressive when you consider that there is also a large percentage more banwidth being used for the clients to interconnect and communicate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

deenko wrote:
so with 3800 seeders, and 3700 downloaders and a total bandwith of 345MB/s roughly translates to 368kb/s per user. (if load is spread evenly to make themath easier) not all that bad......

Quote:
Imagine the hosting fees to spread this file to a crowd of this size

for any one host.

unless you are talking about....... the cost each user pays for their connection.... but that is just silly to think about now, isn't it?

I dont know what kind of idiot would think about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Kybo_Ren wrote:

bingo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

deenko wrote:
Quote:

Ya, I did jump the gun a little too fast and judged too quicky. After doing the BitTorrent_help@yahoogroups.com thing for a while, I kind of am less tolerant of any post like that. It is not that uncommen for certain anime torrents to reach 500 MB/s in their peak. It is also even more impressive when you consider that there is also a large percentage more banwidth being used for the clients to interconnect and communicate.

??

What? an occasional scrape and peer data? Thats nothing. Defiently not "a large percentage MORE"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:36 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
What? an occasional scrape and peer data? Thats nothing. Defiently not "a large percentage MORE"

A torrent clinet needs to tell the other clients what pieces it has and needs. This communication can consume 10 to 30 percent more badwidth that what the client is reporting, as well as the trackler. So, a tracker reporting 500MB/s for all of the clients, but in the background might actually be using 50 to 150MB/s more bandwidth. While this precentage may vary depending on the settings of the client, it certainly should not be taken as trivial.

Quote:

You never know. Just wanted to clarify. There are certainly confused and ignorant people out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:11 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

deenko wrote:
Quote:

A torrent clinet needs to tell the other clients what pieces it has and needs. This communication can consume 10 to 30 percent more badwidth that what the client is reporting, as well as the trackler. So, a tracker reporting 500MB/s for all of the clients, but in the background might actually be using 50 to 150MB/s more bandwidth. While this precentage may vary depending on the settings of the client, it certainly should not be taken as trivial.

Not true, the current bandwidth usage to facilitate transfers is roughtly 1 100th that of the current usage, with even more improvements in the algorithm that will cut the needed bandwidth down to 1 1000th of the total.

Quote:
Quote:

You never know. Just wanted to clarify. There are certainly confused and ignorant people out there.

Truely there are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
Not true, the current bandwidth usage to facilitate transfers is roughtly 1 100th that of the current usage, with even more improvements in the algorithm that will cut the needed bandwidth down to 1 1000th of the total.

Yea, that is stated in the documentation from bittorrent, but that is in reference to the tracker end of the line where the servers can expect to have at least a T1 amount of bandwidth. At that speed the bandwidth overhead becomes definitly trivial. But, and there always is.... most of the program users will only own an adsl or cable modem. Those who are fortunate to have an unthrottled .edu line are becoming more rare. Sharing under the ideal model for torrents, a user will only be able to get the dowload speed similar to their upload speed. Most users, cable or dsl, will have a relatively limited upload bandwidth. In these cases with a limited amount of bandwidth (relativly) the bandwidth transfer overhead will easily hit 30 percent. Again this greatly depends on the individual settings and download habits.