Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for a fast and stable broadband router
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:43 am 

I currently have a D-Link 604 router attached to my cable modem. I've had it for several years now and it's been a dream. Always there, always on, always routing. No real issues until just recently.

I decided to host an Unreal Tournament 2004 server for some weekend gaming with my friends. I set up the router for port forwarding (7777, 7778) and everyone joined in just fine. But, it typically lasts just a few minutes. Eventually the router dies. The lights on it start slowing blinking like it's resetting. Sometimes it comes back. Other times I have to unplug it for a minute. When the UT server switches levels, it's guaranteed to die on me. Very frustrating.

What's interesting is I can have 3 computers at my home gaming on an outside UT server with no problems. It's just hosting the server inside my house that always causes problems. Maybe the port forwarding can't keep up?

Anyway, Maximum PC doesn't list broadband routers in the "Best of the Best" section, so I'm looking for recommendations. Specifically from people who have hosted game servers and especially UT 2004. Wireless G is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker. More important to me is speed and reliability under heavy load. And multiple VPN passthrough since I work from home.

Every router review I've read has some issues - or some other review has issues. The latest is the D-Link DI-624. CNet raved about this router. I was almost ready to buy it, until I read this review: http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1449.html

Anyway, thanks for any feedback!

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:12 am 
Northwood
Northwood

personal experience, but i couldn't stand the D-Link 624 when i was working with it. many problems.

switched to Linksys and everything is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:54 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

i second linksys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:08 pm 
Will Mod for Scooby Snacks!
Will Mod for Scooby Snacks!

I use Siemens......

Had it for over a year now, and not one problem with it..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:20 pm 

But which models with Linksys and Seimans? I need model numbers cause not all models are created equal. Many models from the same company might use different chips and slightly different software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:19 am 
Northwood
Northwood

beheader wrote:
But which models with Linksys and Seimans? I need model numbers cause not all models are created equal. Many models from the same company might use different chips and slightly different software.

WRT54G

the ones with the S at the end have SpeedBoosters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:01 am 

Have you tested the WRT54G under heavy load? Hosting a game server with around 8 players is a good test.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:09 am 
Northwood
Northwood

beheader wrote:
Have you tested the WRT54G under heavy load? Hosting a game server with around 8 players is a good test.

Thanks.

i don't plan to do that with my ISP-capped upload bandwidth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:25 am 

Well, like I said, my D-Link 604 has never had a problem - until I tried hosting a game server. It's hard to know if the Linksys is going to be any better than what I have now, unless people have experience with this scenario.

I did just buy the Netgear RP-614 from Outpost.com yesteday - only because it was free after rebate. So I'll give that router a try. Testing out free routers is easy to justify! ;)