Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Firefox vs Chrome vs IE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 am 
Willamette
Willamette

So, lately I've been annoyed with Firefox, even though I like it because of NoScript (but the browser is still using too much memory and resources).

Anyway, of the three, which is still the most secure?

Is there an alternative to NoScript but for Chrome?

Post subject: Re: Firefox vs Chrome vs IE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What counts as "too much memory and resources?" Sure I get a little weary at times when Firefox happily eats up almost a gigabyte of memory, but at the same time, it's not running my system to the ground. I can still do what I want on the side. And even when I was running systems with a paltry 2GB (and this was during the time Firefox was "notorious" for memory leaks), I could still do what I wanted. But at the end of the day, Firefox has not grinded my system to a halt and I need to stop worrying that I'm not below some percentage of usage.

Anyway, which of the three are most secure? Neither. Most of the security exploits you'll encounter is because you did the action. You clicked on the link. The person who made the malignant script or whatever found an exploit and all it takes to get your computer compromised is a little social engineering.

Also, Chrome doesn't have anything like NoScript. It has some script blockers, but they're nothing near NoScrpt. And to be honest, I stopped using it because it was a hassle to whitelist everything, I'm cautious about what I do on the internet if I'm going after unfamiliar territory, and I have an IP filter set up.

So the whole point of this is: you're stuck with Firefox if you want NoScript.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 am 

cbassett01 wrote:

Is there an alternative to NoScript but for Chrome?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dajjpkkcfn
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dgdf?hl=en

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:00 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

From what I gathered, Chrome was built in such a way that you cannot block every object or script. So those are like NoScript lite.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The issues that I'm seeing with Firefox is mainly excessive (in my mind) memory use (like 500 MB of RAM, which isn't much considering I have 16GB, but still for a web browser that seems to make me thing there is still some memory leaks in the program). The other issue I'm seeing, and it's not specific to a machine, but it will freeze momentarily from time to time and it's Mozilla. Doesn't happen in IE or Chrome.

The only reason I've held onto Firefox is for NoScript, but if Chrome can do almost the same job, I will probably switch. It seems faster and more "light weight" on system resources.

Some people have told me that IE 10 and 11 are quite secure as well, but I still don't quite trust IE yet. I haven't since about IE4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're going to use Chrome, at least use Chromium. It's Chrome without Google's bloat and supports everything Chrome does.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:59 am 

Chrome is the best browser! Make this simple test:
Open all your browser at same time with same homepage. Then see which one did load the first your homepage.

We don't need to speak about IE! This is the worst!
Firefox was great before Chrome arrive on the place. Firefox is slower and heavier for memory.
If you open the processes tasks control windows (Ctrl + alt + del), you see that each tab of Chrome is a unique process. So this technical strategy make independant each web page you open in Chrome. So when a web page script is bugging or the server is having an issue, only one process is blocked and not all the Chrome program; which is not the case to all the other borwsers.

I still use Firefox for some addons which doesn't exist in Chrome.
Also firefox anoy me when I install new add-ons. Sometime you don't know where are located these new add-ons. You need to restart Firefox, and you still search for this new installed addon.

This was my personal review. I hope it can help someone here.