Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IE tweak and or freeware...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:13 pm 

A few issues back I remember reading that there was a tweak that would allow a user to have multiple downloads without sacraficing speed or freezes...unforunetly I can't find the article any more and was wondering if someone remembers what the tweak was.

Also about a year or more ago, TechTV (before they went down hill "in my opinion") showed a freeware app that allowed a user to increase downloads through IE by about 50%...again I can no longer find any information about this.

If anyone knows the tweak and/or app please let me know.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:57 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Sorry took so long. Hope you're still around! I am just browsing through unanswered posts to see if I can help.

For the first question, I believe this was covered in the readers tips. It used to be on the site, but now it's gone. So, consider this a big bump to see if anyone has the link to this or the correct reg hack.

To the second, the only tweak I know of is with WinXP pro. I detailed this a while back (when XP was new:p) on one of my cheapo webpages. Here's the link:
http://www.geocities.com/chumly409/PCpage
Look toward the bottom on the right. It's basically detailing how to un-reserve bandwidth allocated to each user account in case the OS is in a work-place environment. Doesn't work on Home or any other version though.

Ah hell...I can just cut and paste it I guess!

"Here's a tweak for you XP Pro users that I highly suggest doing. XP Pro is a business-minded OS, right? Well, they've added a sneaky little aid in the Quality of Service to limit available bandwidth to users (20% is reserved by default).

Why? Because in every office, there's that one person that hogs the bandwidth downloading goofy junk that they think is cute...or downloading music on company bandwidth. It's actually a good idea.

XP Home users don't have to worry about this because, well, you're home! DL to your hearts content. You aren't screwing up anybody else. You don't have this toy anyway:P (this means this tweak won't work for you)

But when you run XP Pro at home, you want all available BW, right!? Riiiight.

-Open gpedit.msc (start, run, gpedit.msc)

-Expand the following:
Computer Configuration
Administrative templates
Network

-Select "QoS Packet Scheduler"
-In the right window pane, you'll notice a key named "Limit Reservable Bandwidth". Double-click it
-Check "Enabled" in the settings tab. Then change the "Bandwidth limit %" to 0 (zero) and click "Apply" and exit gpedit.msc

This free's up the standard 20% reserved amount! The gates are now wide open."