Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Comcast: Direct or In-store for best deals
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I'm going to be moving in a few weeks and am trying to make up my mind on Comcast... Normally, I would just dump them and go with someone else since their prices are a joke (although their reliability for Internet is probably the best I've had thus far---compared to Verizon's DSL, and a few other non-cable/DSL-only providers, and I know cable is much better than DSL in most cases anyways).

But, what I'm stuck with is how can I get the best deal possible? Could I sign-up for a new account and try to act as if I was a new customer so I could take advantage of new customer rates? How long do you have to be disconnected before they'll consider you a new customer?

And finally, has anyone noticed if getting Comcast in store (at a BestBuy, for example) is any better (as in better deals) than just calling Comcast directly or going online? Part of me would say NO, just because BestBuy wants to make some money too, my intuition would tell me that there is a mark-up, even though it may be easier for people to do rather than calling Comcast and scheduling an appointment ,etc).

I just am sick of paying $100+ for Internet and TV (of which , I really don't want much TV anyway, but I can pretty much get cable TV "Free" with most bundles--new or existing customer--for only a few bucks more a month than just Internet-only). I sort of wish that competition was around here (from Charter or whatever) but unfortunately for cable, Comcast is all we have around here.. (and a Satelite dish is not an option for me).

Any ideas or suggestions for getting a better deal? I've already tried the "I'm going to cancel" bit and didn't really get much there, except for maybe a 10% off my bill, which to me, is not really worth the hassle.

Post subject: Re: Comcast: Direct or In-store for best deals
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:18 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

All of the companies give good deals for a few months for new customers as an introductory price. After that they all go up to the ridiculous price.

Just move your current Comcast account when you move. Remind them that there are better deals in the neighborhood, and remind them again every year or two. The customer service rep will almost always give you a little break and cut your rates for a few months; sometimes six months or more.

There are some places you can check to see if there are better rates in your new area.
For example, here are a couple I posted for someone else who was looking:

http://www.dslreports.com/search
http://www.myispfinder.org/