Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [email] sending files ?
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 am 

Hi everybody !

I was looking around to see how to send really big files by email.
Do you have any idea ? It's like 50 or 100mo, so my Gmail account can't handle it. I tried by dropbox, but it's not really effective...

And I don't want to send an usb key by mail ^^.

Thx guys :)

Post subject: Re: [email] sending files ?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Try uploading it to Google Docs. If you have a Hotmail address, SkyDrive takes up to 300MB files.

If the file is not already compressed, zip it up to reduce the file size. If this makes it small enough to email, you may have to change the extension (*.zip) to something else (*.piz, for example) and add a note in the email to change it back when you send it. Some email services do not allow zipped files.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:58 am 

Yep, I wasn't thinking about it...

But could you explain the note about your .zip ? I just compress my file and change the extension by .piz ?

I found that website, is it interesting ?
http://us.nextsend.com/

Thanks for answering anyway :)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Some email servers will refuse to send certain file types because they're commonly associated with viruses. However, I haven't had any issues with .zip files.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:09 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Indeed, RAR almost always and Zip sometimes, more so with enterprise firewalls. Yet you could play it safe with 7z and use 7-Zip.

Funny how you find Dropbox ineffective, nothing seems easier than their public folders. Other options are SugarSync, SpiderOak, Google Drive and Box and of course a personal ftp like MediaFire, RapidShare and 4Share.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:47 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

msto214 wrote:
Yep, I wasn't thinking about it...

But could you explain the note about your .zip ? I just compress my file and change the extension by .piz ?

I found that website, is it interesting ?
http://us.nextsend.com/

Thanks for answering anyway :)

About my .zip note:
Some others got to it before I got back. Some email servers will refuse to accept or send a .zip file. One way to get around that is to rename the file so it does not have a forbidden extension. Some compression programs will catch it automatically and ignore the rename, but it's good to give a notice.

Example: myfiles.zip gets renamed to myfiles.abc and a note is included in your email that says; "Rename myfiles.abc to myfiles.zip or else you might not be able to open it."

Don't forget to ask your friend about his email storage limit if you try to send a large file as a regular attachment. If the free space in his online inbox is smaller than the file you send, he won't be able to receive it.

Your website link looks like the average online file sending site, similar to dropbox but with extra email features. You still have to upload the file. They just save you the step of copying and pasting the link in your email. The encryption might be a nice feature if you're sending confidential information and don't want to encrypt the file yourself for transfer.