Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Netbook anti theft program?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:54 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Anyone have a reliable netbook anti theft program? Having an issue with theft; this is the last one I'm buying.

Post subject: Re: Netbook anti theft program?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:42 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Then stop stealing them! :D
Seriously, though, Prey works fairly well for free, especially if the thief is kinda dumb.
linky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

buy a 12lb brick, no one steals those... :p specially when its aged and been in a few motorcycle accidents. Looks like its been through war and back, but it still works and plays tf2.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:59 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I would have to ask what the conditions are that it gets picked up and carried off. you cannot cure or protect from a user that sets it down and walks away when its anywhere but at home.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:41 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

1st time she brought it out & someone took it. We tried to report it but went to the wrong police station & never got back out to the right one. That was when hub was fighting cancer; didn't have a lot of free time then

Not sure what's going on; if someone is just coming in when someone just happened to not lock a door or has a key; we've recently changed locks.. had a GPS taken off my desk while I was upstairs; & I mean within view of my front door. They were quiet when they opened the door- (one of the kids must not have locked it when they walked out); must have heard me in the laundry room right above the foyer; I heard the front door close behind them. I never noticed it missing off of my desk- Hub was updating the GPS & didn't have the laptop plugged in; the laptop shut down due to low battery & it fried the GPS.. At some point hub got an email that someone was registering the GPS. How they managed to turn it on; I have no clue. I realized the netbook was gone pretty quick because I had it next to the couch in the living room; but I thought my daughter took it because it's her's. It was around the time I heard the door. I came right down & looked out; there was no one around so I thought I was hearing things with the washer & dryer going.

As for an older one; yeah; no one wants the old compaq lol That also was sitting in the room with the GPS
One of hubs friends is donating another laptop.. debating taking the newest netbook back & having her use the laptop after it's fixed. Think it has a bad drive.

I have Lookout mobile on my phone; I want something that I can password & locate the netbook if needed. I'm not sure if this one has a web cam but if it does; it would be nice if I can put ispy on it & turn that on too if needed. I'm done replacing them the last 2 Christmas.. I want to burn someone's hands because the cops haven't been much help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:48 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Enable lockouts like this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/72 ... empts.html
Then, make a guest account with a web browser and Prey.
After the guy gets locked out of his attempts to get into the first account, he will probably go to the second. As soon as you find the system gone, enable Prey and find who did it.

Alternately, there is probably some way to rig the thing to explode on command. Good luck getting that through security, though :mrgreen: