Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Exactly how u can get hack from using I.E.---teach me!(^^)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

(read topic) can anyone name names of viruses, type of the way u can get hack from using ie than anyother web browser?

and how bout outlook express, why is everyone not using OE to check email???? heard something about the weak open source, can anyone explain more???

Thank You!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:54 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

What is hack? Is it that weird coughing that smokers have?

Got hack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:10 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I used to hack. Gave it up tho after my son was born, wasnt healthy for either of us. I feel much better now, even sleeping better. Smoking was the worst thing i could have started.

Post subject: Re: Exactly how u can get hack from using I.E.---teach me!(^
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:33 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

novice101 wrote:
(read topic) can anyone name names of viruses, type of the way u can get hack from using ie than anyother web browser?

and how bout outlook express, why is everyone not using OE to check email???? heard something about the weak open source, can anyone explain more???

Thank You!!!

There are all sorts of virus & trojans you can get from either if your system is not patched, or if your not running anti-virus or a firewall. Too many in fact to list. If you are patched & have anti-virus & firewall, you shouldn't really worry. Note- this is assuming you turned off a few things, like enable install on demand & fixed a java virtual machine issue some computers have.

I use Crazy browser which is an IE hack :D that has tabbed browsing and a pop up blocker. For email I liked Netscape 4.79, altho I haven't really used it much lately except to store my webmail after reading it. I haven't found an email program I like enough to start using it.

As for plain IE- yuck. Who wants to use a browser that you have to open new windows to visit links? OE- never liked that either, it is a chore to backup & restore old files :x

Post subject: Re: Exactly how u can get hack from using I.E.---teach me!(^
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

novice101 wrote:

You said it, no one uses OE because the source is very weak, I think it has something to do with a low midichlorian count...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:00 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Okay, here's the gist.

Internet Explorer is not just a web browser. It's been heavily integrated into Windows itself ever since Windows 95, and functions as part of the file manager's user interface, among other things.

Think of a car with the engine, transmission and entire drivetrain as one non-separatable object. The heart of the vehicle is directly exposed to the surface of the road. Every time the car hits a bump in the road, the whole powertrain gets a jolt. Big enough bumps will affect the entire car.

As you can imagine, it wouldn't be too hard to build a big enough bump to severely damage or cripple this car. This is, in essence, why IE is so vulnerable to viruses and such - it's so heavily integrated into Windows, there are many ways to use that closeness to attack the OS itself.

Now, take a regular car. The engine, transmission and drivetrain are separate components, and are built to keep the heart of the car safe from bumps in the road. Big enough bumps will still affect it, but there aren't nearly as many. Since there is no relationship between the browser and the OS itself to the degree that we see in IE and Windows, we have a safety barrier that is more difficult to cross.

Make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Random Task wrote:
Okay, here's the gist.

Internet Explorer is not just a web browser. It's been heavily integrated into Windows itself ever since Windows 95, and functions as part of the file manager's user interface, among other things.

Think of a car with the engine, transmission and entire drivetrain as one non-separatable object. The heart of the vehicle is directly exposed to the surface of the road. Every time the car hits a bump in the road, the whole powertrain gets a jolt. Big enough bumps will affect the entire car.

As you can imagine, it wouldn't be too hard to build a big enough bump to severely damage or cripple this car. This is, in essence, why IE is so vulnerable to viruses and such - it's so heavily integrated into Windows, there are many ways to use that closeness to attack the OS itself.

Now, take a regular car. The engine, transmission and drivetrain are separate components, and are built to keep the heart of the car safe from bumps in the road. Big enough bumps will still affect it, but there aren't nearly as many. Since there is no relationship between the browser and the OS itself to the degree that we see in IE and Windows, we have a safety barrier that is more difficult to cross.

Make sense?

Thats good to know for sure, but what makes me ponder the most is IE being more available to hackers. IS IE easier to hack than other browsers like firefox?