Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: are ISP supplied routers generally inferior to other ones?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 pm 

So I just got a new Frontier (formerly Verizon for me here in WA state) FiOS wireless router. I had a Westell supplied router from Verizon (back when I had them) and was having a lot of dropped connections and incredibly slow wireless speeds. So Frontier sent me this Actiontec MI424WR wireless router. I'm not very happy with the speeds though with this new router. I'm get my advertised speeds of 35mbps down and 35mbps up on a wired ethernet connection but wireless speeds (even if my ipad, or laptop are next to the router) are anywhere from 10mbps to 17mbps. Would it help my wireless speeds at all if I bought my own router? I think this new router is only 10/100 speeds if that matters at all. I do quite a bit of video streaming on my ipad and laptop (Netflix especially) so I want my wireless speeds closer to 35mbps if possible.

I know the whole thing about non-guaranteed wireless speeds because of wall interference, microwaves, cordless phones, etc, but like I said, even being next to the router doesn't really make the speeds even half as fast as they are wired to the router. Is this really normal?

Any help or suggestions on a wireless router I should buy would be appreciated. I probably would go for a wireless N because I want the range, maybe dual band too? Anywho, any help is much appreciated.

thanks guys

Post subject: Re: are ISP supplied routers generally inferior to other one
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:04 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Sounds like you're linking at b or g

and just my experience with Actiontecs, but oddly enough, I received better wireless speeds the further I moved the router away from the computers and I received fairly good speeds once I connected using the N protocol (not sure if your devices support that or not)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:27 pm 

yeah I might just get a wireless N router. The speeds are a little better but only half of my ethernet connected speeds. thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

In my most recent experience, I would have to say any DSL ISP-supplied equipment (routers and modems) are generally inferior to other ones. For the past few months, I have been troubleshooting a connectivity problem for a friend, and have done everything to address the issue, only to be told that she has a bad modem (she has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 DSL modem that was supplied with her AT&T DSL service when she switched to it two or three years ago). Last weekend, I did some online research to locate a new modem for her and found numerous references to frequent issues with Motorola DSL modems that ran hot, 2Wire Home Networking Portals that dropped connections repeatedly, and Speedstream 4100 modem that also dropped connections and needed to be rebooted at least once a day. All of these devices were used as standard-issue equipment by AT&T DSL and were known to fail anywhere from a year to every two to three years and need replacement (at the customer's expense, of course). Also, I found that any DSL modem or router that is supplied by and made specifically for a DSL service provider will most likely have firmware that is not upgradeable as the firmware updates would most likely have to be either written by or approved by the ISP. I know this to be true because I used to do tech support for what is now known as AT&T Yahoo! DSL back when it was just SBC DSL and there were never any firmware updates that were available (nor even suggested) for the equipment they supported.

Third-party equipment that is not supported by the ISP is generally better, but you lose the "advantage" of having it supported by the ISP as having such equipment (and letting them know you have such equipment) gives them the easy way out by telling you that you have to contact the manufacturer as they do not officially support that equipment. For those of us that have a somewhat better understanding of such equipment, that does not pose an unsurmountable problem. I am going to be installing an ActionTec GT1701D DSL modem (not ISP-specific) on my friend's DSL line this afternoon and (if the reviews are correct), she should have a stable (and possibly faster) connection for the next four to six years. I am interested in seeing the results firsthand.

As for cable ISPs, I have yet to have a bad experience with Cox Communications' supported equipment as my Terayon TJ-715 cable modem worked fine for about 4.5 years before dying and I had it replaced by an Arris telephony cable modem when I upgraded to their digital cable service and added their digital telephone service on to my service plan. I have had the Arris telephony modem for nearly five years now and have yet to have an issue with it. Note: I did pay for the TJ-715 cable modem, but the Arris telephony modem is most likely being rented by me as part of the service as I don't recall having to pay for the telephony modem when I had it installed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:55 am 

well, my wireless frontier westell router just went out. Getting a new one from frontier. Any ideas on what a good 3rd party router I should buy? Possibly wireless N? My range is pretty crappy on the isp supplied router. My down and up speeds are 35/35 and I get those on a wired connection but dont get anything more than 10-15 on wireless.