Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: This Is How U Stop Google Tracking Your Results....
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

....if you have Firefox that is.

Just found out Firefox browser has an add-on called GoogleSharing that once installed it will send your Google search to a proxy that will strip all tracking info. Works seemlessly in the background, just use Google as normal.

This little app is gonna change everything cause, like everything Microsoft does IE is gonna have this add-on eventually (especially since it breaks Google's balls) everyone is gonna have it and I think down the road it will greatly effect Google. Right now it WILL effect you and being tracked by Google.

Post subject: Re: This Is How U Stop Google Tracking Your Results....
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:37 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ghostery works too

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Cool, didn't know that. I've tried Google with a bunch of proxies and none of them worked.

You know it's amazing the stuff Google is doing, it's not just their search engine that makes them billions of dollars. Saw a report of the Washington DC fire station that pays for Google Maps but they get a lot more than just a satellite view of where the fire is at. They grab an iPad and bring up the block where the fire is on the sat map. Their sat map also has locations of every fire hydrant available and shows the ones that are working and the ones that are not so they don't waste time.

That's Google's mission. If you have a small business Google Ads is unbelieveable. You can choose what parts of the WORLD you advertise in. Every time someone clicks your link the biz pays Google $1. Google creates an even playing field, it's not just what business pays the most it's which business has the most relevant website...THEY go to the top of the search results. Saw an interview with a small business guy who uses Google Ads and swears by them. They make handmade cowboy boots and he was like, you can't get by in this world without Google Ads.

Google goes into businesses and governments and takes over their IT department which saves the businesses mucho denaro.

I always hated how Google tracked our search results and they have been used against people many times in court. I really love this Firefox add-on and I am just spreading the word.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Google must be fans of MaximumPC.

Just tried to go to Google and the small words that would appear telling me the info is being proxied has gone. It appears now, with GoogleSharing running, that I am back to using Google like before. I guess I could go in and use another proxy, not sure. Hoping there were others that use GoogleSharing that could help.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:31 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I've been trying out Ghostery per kleinkinstein's recommendation and it's been working great. Not sure of the practical differences between the two, but I figure if it helps reduce the amount tracking info that's floating around about me, that's a win.

Edit: I'm frankly more worried about some of the other entities than I am Google. Not that I'm 100% sure that they will 'do no evil' with their massive data pile, but if I was that concerned about them in particular, I would probably have to ditch my Android phone anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Google has a service that most governments pay for. It's the ability to pull up a person's Google search results and queries. Most people are dumb enough to put their entire lives online with Facebook, that's where most would start and end up with Google.

Found an online proxy that works well with Google.

www.hidemyass.com

You can tell when I do a query, it says on the left pane that I am from Vermont which I am not.