Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Web browsers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:23 pm 

Just have some questions about different web browsers,
Ive been wondering which is the best one and how they are different from eachother and why they are better than others(IE) been looking at firefox, MyIE2 and Avert but Avert and myIE2 i beleive still uses IE so been wondering whats so great about these??

Like what do they offer, right now im just using IE and its working fine so is my computer other than deleting an HP cd writer with all the shared system files with it which forced me to repair XP real pain, but other than that just been running ad-aware so any others besides adaware i should get and have no virus or firewall just the linksys router.. any suggestions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:56 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Number one issue that is driving people to switch over from IE is the security flaws and scripts written directed at IE itself. A good case in point is spyware itself. Most are written to be picked up in IE, while it's a little harder to catch using Mozilla or other browsers. You may still get some, but not as many.

Next up is all the very useful tools that you can add into firefox. I just like the usefulness of the firefox browser (and some of the other not-so-useful, but entertaining extensions like FireSomething). Tabed browsing, once gotten used to, is GREAT for browsing. I don't spend more than 10 minutes in here before I hit a few tabs open.

The small flaws I see so far is that images seem to load just a tad slow for my taste. There may be a cure out there, but I haven't found it yet. I also notice that the web-functions of my Logitech Keyboard don't open links/work with FireFox, but not that big of a deal IMO. Mind you....this is still beta! The real browser isn't even released in v1.0 yet. my guess is that it will be an even greater browser. I have read about many of the big-dogs making a joint venture into Mozilla to really get it perfect.

IMO, a browser should be more useful to you than to just open webpages, and that's what FireFox offers me. I won't go back to IE. It's just too bad that IE is so deeply rooted into Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:12 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

I love CrazyBrowser, but I've also been using MyIE2 a lot lately as well.

Mozilla is also very nice, but I haven't had the gumption to go get all the hacks for it that I want :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:43 pm 

I'm a big fan of Firefox now. The extensions are great (some of them very useful) and the tabbed browsing/built in pop-up blocker is amazing. Heh i have my homepage set to 4 sites =).

However i have come across a few sites that won't open up for me in firefox (the folding at home's link to stats is one of them) But if i come across an oddity liek that I'll just pop the link in IE.

~War

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

HK-47 wrote:
I love CrazyBrowser, but I've also been using MyIE2 a lot lately as well.

Mozilla is also very nice, but I haven't had the gumption to go get all the hacks for it that I want :)

Talk about being lazy... all you have to do is click on a link! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:22 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

WaroftheRings wrote:
I'm a big fan of Firefox now. The extensions are great (some of them very useful) and the tabbed browsing/built in pop-up blocker is amazing. Heh i have my homepage set to 4 sites =).

However i have come across a few sites that won't open up for me in firefox (the folding at home's link to stats is one of them) But if i come across an oddity liek that I'll just pop the link in IE.

~War

I open the FAH stats page like 8 times a day in Firefox?! Are you sure that it isn't some other issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

mozilla is great!! i just got it a couple days ago and am happy, because b4 i was using ie and had a whole lot of crap on it i.e popups, plus mozilla has a more clean empty look, ie was so crowded with toolbars and such, that u had 2 scroll a long time well hoped this helped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:26 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

My vote is for firefox. Ive grown to love it, except it always screws up when i try to ftp to my domain..great browser tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:37 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Chumly wrote:
Number one issue that is driving people to switch over from IE is the security flaws and scripts written directed at IE itself. A good case in point is spyware itself. Most are written to be picked up in IE, while it's a little harder to catch using Mozilla or other browsers. You may still get some, but not as many.

Hence why I stopped using IE altogether. My brother in law is convinced that IE is the best browser out there. I've made mention to him about all the security flaws and scripts, but he's still convinced. But then again, he checks for spyware religiously, Firefox has been great at decreasing the threat of spyware on my PC, it blocks out a good majority of it.

Chumly wrote:
Next up is all the very useful tools that you can add into firefox. I just like the usefulness of the firefox browser (and some of the other not-so-useful, but entertaining extensions like FireSomething). Tabed browsing, once gotten used to, is GREAT for browsing. I don't spend more than 10 minutes in here before I hit a few tabs open.

Another reason I use Firefox. The themes are great as well as the extensions. An extensible browser is so cool, I got used to tabbed browsing within minutes of downloading Firefox.

Chumly wrote:
The small flaws I see so far is that images seem to load just a tad slow for my taste. There may be a cure out there, but I haven't found it yet. I also notice that the web-functions of my Logitech Keyboard don't open links/work with FireFox, but not that big of a deal IMO. Mind you....this is still beta! The real browser isn't even released in v1.0 yet. my guess is that it will be an even greater browser. I have read about many of the big-dogs making a joint venture into Mozilla to really get it perfect.

Considering the fact that Firefox is stil 0.9, it's pretty darn fast. I think that the developers are looking to secure the browser first before making any touch-ups to performance.

Chumly wrote:
IMO, a browser should be more useful to you than to just open webpages, and that's what FireFox offers me. I won't go back to IE. It's just too bad that IE is so deeply rooted into Windows.

And that's why, again, I use Firefox. I can't even stand to use IE anymore. I think that the fact that IE is deeply rooted in Windows is one of the biggest reasons to stay away from IE. A malicious IE script can take down your Windows system (assuming here, not sure if it's possible) because of the deep integration of IE into Windows.