Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PHP help ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:19 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I just launched a social network today, I wanted to build a functional alt to face book with custom profiles, FB style IM, and tons of features, I did it! it took forever! Now I am worried...
My host has limited size for MYSQL data bases and that means that one data base is going to fill quickly. I was told to split the reads and writes, but I can't find a script to do it.

Any help ?

I need to have one DB for read
and one DB for write

This way the system will run when the user count jumps (which I hope it will)

Thanks
-Cody

Post subject: Re: PHP help ?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

codyandbecca wrote:
I just launched a social network today, I wanted to build a functional alt to face book with custom profiles, FB style IM, and tons of features, I did it! it took forever! Now I am worried...
My host has limited size for MYSQL data bases and that means that one data base is going to fill quickly. I was told to split the reads and writes, but I can't find a script to do it.

Any help ?

I need to have one DB for read
and one DB for write

This way the system will run when the user count jumps (which I hope it will)

Thanks
-Cody

I'm sure it was an interesting project, though .. fun to code .. but if you're hoping to actually launch this .. well, I hope you have a good lawyer. This post is all Facebook needs to prove that you're stealing their IP.

You intend the DBs to be mirrored, obviously, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yes they would need to be mirrored.

P.S. All my base code is dual licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2 as published by the Free Software Foundation and the MIT License.
Also FB chat is under the MIT License. I'm not stealing there IP, I just want an alt to FB, it seems to get slower everyday and have more glitches. I hate that it's restrictive with user style, grr the list goes on... I appreciate your concern but I was careful to cover my bases. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Your code isn't issue. You've plainly stated that you're trying to duplicate Facebook .. and, believe me, Facebook as a concept is very heavily copyrighted.

Do I think that is 'right'? No.

Do I think you might have a chance to fight it? Maybe.

Do I think you'll incur years of legal wrangling at best? Oh yes. Even if they know they're going to lose, they have millions to spend on lawyers to keep you tied up while they continue to solidify their ownership of the social networking space.

If you want to make money in IT, you need to be the first to market with the idea. Trying to revamp an existing idea is a very difficult path to profit .. especially when the entity with whom you're competing offers a free service with hundreds of millions of registered users. Facebook will eventually be pushed aside .. but it will be by something substantially better ... something with a hook that FB doesn't possess. If you have one of those .. well .. then I'd be interested. :)

In the end, I doubt you'll attract enough users for them to pay attention but I am interested in seeing your finished product.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jipstyle wrote:
Your code isn't issue. You've plainly stated that you're trying to duplicate Facebook .. and, believe me, Facebook as a concept is very heavily copyrighted.

Do I think that is 'right'? No.

Do I think you might have a chance to fight it? Maybe.

Do I think you'll incur years of legal wrangling at best? Oh yes. Even if they know they're going to lose, they have millions to spend on lawyers to keep you tied up while they continue to solidify their ownership of the social networking space.

If you want to make money in IT, you need to be the first to market with the idea. Trying to revamp an existing idea is a very difficult path to profit .. especially when the entity with whom you're competing offers a free service with hundreds of millions of registered users. Facebook will eventually be pushed aside .. but it will be by something substantially better ... something with a hook that FB doesn't possess. If you have one of those .. well .. then I'd be interested. :)

In the end, I doubt you'll attract enough users for them to pay attention but I am interested in seeing your finished product.

I am not trying to duplicate FB, Simply have an alternative. Any fetures I am using are free, and the idea is actually a tribute to a more old school social network :o

you can view or join here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

At a minimum, you'll want to choose different colours and fonts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I know the colors, I am working on something that looks unique, but it's still got some kinks that need working out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

codyandbecca wrote:

I may not be understanding your problem, but I do not see how separating the reads and writes would solve your problem. If you are worried about the amount of data your provider allows you to store in your database, then separating the reads and writes would not help you at all. Separating them would just create complications with synchronizing them, and cause you to exceed your storage limits with two databases.

However, if you are going for performance, in regards to throughput, then having separate databases for reads and writes can make sense. If this is the case, you may also want to look at spreading your database across multiple computers, so that your application just sees one database. That said, you should not rely on scripts to synchronize the databases (a non-trivial task), you should rely on the database back-end for that.

Just want to make sure you're talking about databases and not tables.

FYI: On the front page "or join" runs together in "Create your group orjoin others'"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

mag wrote:
codyandbecca wrote:

I may not be understanding your problem, but I do not see how separating the reads and writes would solve your problem. If you are worried about the amount of data your provider allows you to store in your database, then separating the reads and writes would not help you at all. Separating them would just create complications with synchronizing them, and cause you to exceed your storage limits with two databases.

However, if you are going for performance, in regards to throughput, then having separate databases for reads and writes can make sense. If this is the case, you may also want to look at spreading your database across multiple computers, so that your application just sees one database. That said, you should not rely on scripts to synchronize the databases (a non-trivial task), you should rely on the database back-end for that.

Just want to make sure you're talking about databases and not tables.

FYI: On the front page "or join" runs together in "Create your group orjoin others'"

Hey thanks for both bits :)