Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can anyone recommend free web site software?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I'm a n00b when it come to designing websites and I was thinking to start up a basic site so I could help beg for money (no kidding, I'm up to my neck in bills and sinking fast). I've heard of a couple of people in which they set up websites like this and it helped them, but I'm not sure how to go about building a website.
Would anyone here have suggestions on how to build a simple website, where to post it, etc.?
I have an idea in which I could use PayPal to collect the money, and people could click onto the link and make a donation to my family and I to help us get back on our feet, but I don't know how to go about it.
I'm not trying to scam anyone, I'm totally serious, and I need help.

Thanks,

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:57 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Best free thing to make a web site? Notepad. Go to www.htmlgoodies.com to learn it. Then pm me and i will tell u what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

[deleted]

Last edited by Grump on Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:26 pm 

Grump wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
Best free thing to make a web site? Notepad. Go to www.htmlgoodies.com to learn it. Then pm me and i will tell u what to do.

PM you? Why not help everyone out here? That's what this forum is all about.

Grump

lol,

to learn how to hand coding html takes a lot more than a simple forum tutorial will give you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

http://www.cre8asiteforums.com/index.php
http://www.webmaster-talk.com/index.php
http://www.designoutpost.com/forums/
http://www.gurusnetwork.com/discussion/
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/index.php
http://www.forum4designers.com/
http://www.webdesignforums.net/index.php
http://www.webmaster-forum.net/index.php
http://www.webmasterworld.com/

This is a very short list of forums that discuss, advise and instruct in web design, graphics, coding in all the languages, SEO, marketing, you name it. That's what forums are all about. A community of individuals who share their passion for and experiences with that forum's targeted focus.

There are many thousands of forums out here in the ether. Whatever your interest, I'll bet there's at least several forums that have started up just to help and support people with similar interests. I have many interests, so I belong to many forums.

I belong to all of the forums in that list above, just as I belong to about a dozen computer modding and enthusiast forums (and also have my own), a half dozen flooring related forums (my business for the last 33 years) and a whole bunch of other forums -- hotrod, health related, military veterans, political -- a long list. No, I don't participate in all of them every day. But, when I have an issue I need support on, I go to several of the forums I feel can help me the best.

This is all freely available, professional quality information. It's the wonderful thing about the Internet, and forum communities in particular. The website gamerfreak linked to, an excellent one too, also has a forum it has partnered with -- and they have over 30,000 members. It's generous for a member of a forum to want to help another, but sometimes the best help is to turn them onto hundreds or even thousands of other people who specialize in something no single individual can possibly cover in a short period of time.

To paraphrase you, to learn how to hand code HTML takes a lot more than a single individual could offer, but a forum could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:57 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I started out on Angelfire, they will hold your hand in the beginning, then you can switch to an advanced editor. I actually started coding the basic editor. They have all sorts of help pages

HTML basics
HTML Library
Beginners Guide
Angelfire useful downloads
Angelfire signing up
build zone
HTML basics form

Add ons-
Gear

Next, there's a free version of Front Page- I googled, you'll have to sift through it- the program is fpxpress, the 1st link has a download site that isn't working, last I checked if you click on the link on that error page & look for it there, you should find it.

You can also try Bravenet- they are a bit more advanced than angelfire, but you can copy & paste the code from angelfire to bravenet- just look at your web page, click on view- then page source.

Microsoft Word can also make web pages. If you type in what you want to say, click on save as html or webpage.

Post subject: Wow! All great info for me to follow!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Thanks to everyone that's posted so far, and from what I'm seeing already, this is not as hard as I thought it would be.
Maybe one of the moderators could make this a sticky post, because there's a lot of good info for other people willing to learn but don't know how to make a website.

Anyways, thanks again for all the help. Keep it coming!

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

i was gonna have him pm me than i would post it duhhh...... lol i wasnt thinkin. LOl anyway.... I think its best to start right off the bat with html. Really, becuase once u get used to the graphical editors its really hard to switch back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:51 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

gamerfreak wrote:
I think its best to start right off the bat with html. Really, becuase once u get used to the graphical editors its really hard to switch back.

I disagree, as I said with angelfire, he can use the basic editor with html that he gets from that cheat sheet site I linked- I used to do a combination of everything, word & front page (have 2000), depended on what I needed to acheive. I did prefer hand coding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Try out Nvu - a mozilla-based web authoring program. Check it out here.

- Jacob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Blondie wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
I think its best to start right off the bat with html. Really, becuase once u get used to the graphical editors its really hard to switch back.

I disagree, as I said with angelfire, he can use the basic editor with html that he gets from that cheat sheet site I linked- I used to do a combination of everything, word & front page (have 2000), depended on what I needed to acheive. I did prefer hand coding.

ditto. I like to use a combo as well...sometimes (not being a programmer) I don't know how to code a particular item...using the GUI to create a piece of the site, I can then go into the code and see how it is accomplished...and tweak as needed.

Post subject: Well, here's what I have so far...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:03 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Ok so far, since I have SBC Yahoo DSL, I get to have a free geocities site. I'm starting to look into that, and reading as to what I can do. Also, this SiteSpinner software is really cool so far as the 15 day trial I get with the software is based on 15 days of use, not 15 days period. Also I've been creating a basic site, and using what I need to do, and then afterwords I've been copying the html code and posting it on word so I can read it and understand it.
I'll update you guys some more once I start doing some more work on it and figuring out what I need to do. Maybe I could get someone here to look at it so they can help me out once I get started.

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:01 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

ComputerSlayer wrote:
Try out Nvu - a mozilla-based web authoring program. Check it out here.

- Jacob

Brilliant! I was looking for something like this, and you just dropped it into my lap. Thanks! :D