Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Who should I contact?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:35 am 

So, we live right next to a major highway, (I-83) and a major road (York Road). On one side, there is super speedy high speed Internet. On the other side however (which happens to be where we live...) there is NONE. We are stuck with Hughesnet (hence, problems that made me post in these forums before). I'm looking to contact someone in the government and start a petition to get high-speed. Who should I contact? I live in the state of Maryland, if it's any help. Baltimore County.

tl;dr Don't have high-speed, want it, will make a petiton. Who to call?

Thanks in advance.
-Mike

Post subject: Re: Who should I contact?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Your municipality..and even that's a stretch.

Just my 2 cents. I know situations like yours exist....but I have a hard time believing that with things the way they are today, that someone not named Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, can at least offer some sort of broadband service )although it may not be the speeds you're looking for).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:55 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Why would you contact the government? Hi-speed internet access is NOT a right. It is a service provided for profit. Involving the government is a waste of their time and sets a bad example .. they are not supposed to be responsible for this.

Who should you contact? The people who are providing the service. If you tell whoever is providing the service that there are customers in your area, they might spend the money to build the infrastructure to provide high-speed internet in your area .. if it is worth the money.

That highway is a huge barrier, by the way. Do you see many wires crossing above it? Can you imagine the cost of blocking the highway to dig below it? What looks like a couple hundred feet to you looks like hundreds of thousands of dollars to the ISP that you are trying to convince to provide you with service.

Contact all the high-speed providers in your area and find out if any are interested in pushing service into your neighbourhood. You might get lucky; you might have to move .. or get a satellite connection.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah it's tough living without decent internet. I know I lived for almost 3 years in Walker, Ca. On a good day the dial up dnld speed was 14Kb/s usually it was around 6-7. And I paid $55 a month for that. :roll: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:12 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Jipstyle wrote:
Contact all the high-speed providers in your area and find out if any are interested in pushing service into your neighbourhood. You might get lucky; you might have to move .. or get a satellite connection.

Request a serviceability survey. If they cannot provide service, they will tell you why, like the highway is too wide, your home is too far from the nearest plant (service node), etc.