Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trying to wrap my head around Google Voice
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 am 

My understanding is that Google Voice for cell phones works through your existing cell phone network, and is not VoIP. But I'm confused.

If you use Google Voice to make calls, is that any different from using normal calling on your phone? Will it use up the same minutes on your wireless account?

I understand that Google Voice can give you free SMS messaging. Does that mean if you text from Google Voice, you don't need a Messaging plan from your wireless provider?

And how does this all tie in with Android? Is Google Voice integrated throughout Android, or do you need to go into the Google Voice app to use Google Voice features? If your normal cell phone number is called, will Google Voice pick up, or will it use the normal phone?

I'm saving up for a Nexus One this summer, and if I can get a Google Voice invite I'd like to take full advantage. (Speaking of which, would anyone like to send me a Google Voice invite?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You can download the Google Voice App for your android phone, and you can set up your Google Voice account not to send text messages to your cell phone number. So Text messages can be free, you are just accessing them with your data plan. Phone calls are not free, it will use your minutes the same. If you have Verizon, you can add your Google Voice number as a Friends and Family and all your incoming calls would be free. But when you dial a number out, it uses different numbers and redirects to your Google Voice number, so you can't have free outgoing calls. If your normal number is called, it will act as it normally does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:36 am 

Okay, cool.

Now the only thing I'm still unsure about is SMS.

Can Google Voice send SMS through my Cellular Voice/Data service? Or do I need to have a messaging plan?

Also, can I configure GV so that incoming texts to my Google number go to GV rather than my mobile phone's native SMS?
EDIT: Okay, you said that. How does that work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't have the app, so I'm not sure. but, in the settings on the Google Voice page (much like the G-Mail page, but for google voice) in the "Voicemail and Text" settings there is "Send a text (SMS) message to:" and a list of what it can send to. So if you have your Mobile phone it would say "Mobile" and you would not want that checked. Because you don't want texts sent to your mobile because they are still sent to your Google Voice account and you read them with using your Data via the Google Voice App (at least, I would assume as much).

You do not need a messaging plan because your provider isn't sending the text, google is, and you are using your Data Plan to access the web to access your Google Voice account so that Google is the one to send/receive the sms/text, not your provider.