GOOGLE CHROME 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
SAFARI (Windows) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other such as Opera, ETC 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Browsers????
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey all, wasn't sure where to post this question.

Q: Why is it browsers use a lot of memory? I have SAFARI for windows, Firefox newest version, CHROME Newest Version.

All those Browsers i've noticed use a lot of resources from my system, is this just my system? When i have maybe on average 4-5 tabs in firefox it shows its using 726MB of my 4GB Ram, Safari doesn't use much ram at start even with many tabs open, but once its used say for more then a half hour it really starts using my memory almost a GB of my ram, i have other APPS open and i noticed that the browsers start to slow down once they use more ram and they never give up the ram, such as i closed all tabs and kept the downloads window opened and opened a new firefox window and it was still using the same amount of memory as above. I remember in Vista it was Much worse then in 7. I never noticed a difference in OS X. Has anyone ran into the same Scenario? I don't think its a problem so i know this does not go into the help clinic.

Also what Browser do you use?

Gateway DX4200-09
AMD Phenom X4 9150e 1.8GHZ Quad core CPU
4GB DDR2 800MHZ RAM 2x2GB Exp.8GB
640GB SATA (Storage, stock drive) + 160GB IDE WD CAVIAR (win7-64)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64BIT + Ubuntu 9.-- + Windows XP PRO 32BIT
DVD+/-RW DRIVE SATA
ONBOARD LAN, HD AUDIO, DISABLED ATI RADEON HD3200,
HP VX 18" CRT Monitor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:26 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I use Firefox. One of the big reasons why I don't use chrome is because the Adblock addons dont' work as well. They'll load the ads first, and then take them out, as opposed the Firefox's Adblock Plus which blocks it from loading in the first place. Also Chrome as all on or off privacy settings (you either have to use regular mode or incognito mode) , you can't set your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

guoruiwu1994 wrote:
I use Firefox. One of the big reasons why I don't use chrome is because the Adblock addons dont' work as well. They'll load the ads first, and then take them out, as opposed the Firefox's Adblock Plus which blocks it from loading in the first place. Also Chrome as all on or off privacy settings (you either have to use regular mode or incognito mode) , you can't set your own.

I think that is why i haven't been using chrome, i prefer firefox but like how IE and Safari you can switch between the Tabs in the Taskbar in windows 7. Why won't firefox just add that option. I prolly should have mentioned that above too.

- Thanks for the reply GUORUIWU1994 again LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

At any given time, I have at LEAST 10 tabs open in Firefox. It runs me around 200MB in memory. Something you're using, an add-on perhaps, is sucking memory like crazy. And I have a shit ton of add ons too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Quakindude wrote:
At any given time, I have at LEAST 10 tabs open in Firefox. It runs me around 200MB in memory. Something you're using, an add-on perhaps, is sucking memory like crazy. And I have a shit ton of add ons too.

The Only ADD-ons that i have is:
JAVA CONSOLE 6.0.17 + 6.0.16
MCAFEE SITEADVISOR 3.0
SKYPE EXTENSION FOR FIREFOX 3.3.0.3971
XMARKS 3.4.11

I noticed some how my web search got in my add-ons???

Also has anyone noticed: In firefox i'll be watching a video on youtube etc that the video will stop for a few secs but audio will still go and the little placement thing will still be moving, but the video will just completely stop and then it will go really fast, the video will try and catch up with the audio, it does it several times, no matter the length of the video. right now its doing it as i'm typing for some reason. I'll be typing and it will stop then go fast and its only every now and then. - weird huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:59 pm 

renodude18 wrote:
I think that is why i haven't been using chrome, i prefer firefox but like how IE and Safari you can switch between the Tabs in the Taskbar in windows 7. Why won't firefox just add that option. I prolly should have mentioned that above too.

Have you ever tried Showcase in FF, or do you mean something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:12 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I've been using Firefox since 1.0. The thing about Firefox is it gives you everything but the kitchen sink. You can tweak and config Firefox to your hearts content.

As for memory, I have multiple tabs up (including a video), tons of add-ons and memory peak around 256mb. Be sure to have everything updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 pm 

I use Safari because I adore the "top sites" collage of your favorite web sites. When I open the browser, it gives me preview windows of my top 12 sites. Pretty nifty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 am 
Klamath
Klamath

@siramic- I mean in windows 7 you can hover over a IE8 and it shows all the tabs open in all IE8 windows, chrome and firefox don't do that, safari does though.
@airheadq- Same here, firefox has just worked better then IE! Other then i have been having problems with uploading anything to all sites, firefox for some reason does not want to show say on youtube how much time there is left, i upgraded to 3.6 thats when it started doing that, so i went back down to 3.5.8 and no change? when before it was working fine, but i did notice in ubuntu and firefox 3.6 for mac it works just fine? But not windows?

@rocketpop- I like Safari, but i don't like it in windows because there is just too many places to put bookmarks, in the mac version though it works just fine, even better then Firefox for Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I've been using the GPU accelerated firefox. It is super fast and seems to be working great so far!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:17 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

vistageek wrote:
I've been using the GPU accelerated firefox. It is super fast and seems to be working great so far!

Where do you get that? Might have to try it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

renodude18 wrote:
vistageek wrote:

Here ya go. I think it installs both a 32 bit and a 64 bit. Flash doesn't work with the 64 bit one.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

vistageek wrote:
renodude18 wrote:
vistageek wrote:

Here ya go. I think it installs both a 32 bit and a 64 bit. Flash doesn't work with the 64 bit one.
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

Ok thanks, i will give it a try as soon as i can get my system to be stable, it keeps crashing or not wanting to launch some games or just quitting some programs out of no where with no warning? not sure why its doing this!