Welcome to the future of warfare! =)
That's a pretty cool little bot sim. I created an account and read the help file. The language is fairly easy to grasp. It reminds me of a HLA language...
- if, if else, but NO loops... you have to use jumps instead.
- ....Interestingly enough, the documentation says that there are no subroutines, but it does support functions. Hmm...
- Built-in basic math functions (abs, pi, cos, sin, tan asin, acos, atan, etc).
- Built-in functions for locations of objects, yourself and the enemy.
- ....For example, enemy_x is the x-coord for the enemy bot
- ....It looks like you can only get the location of the "nearest" items (eg health)
You can obviously implement a strategy based around a FSM, but I'm not sure that you could generate a plan (due to your only knowing the location of the "nearest" health of ammo). Also, I didn't see anything on how actions/code from the two robots are interleaved. Is it turn based, real-time time slicing, etc.
I would consider starting out by creating all the obvious states and then tying it together with a random number generator (ie if rand is 0-10 shoot, 11-20 get health, etc). It would be easy to implement and you could quickly "learn" good values for the states by having two bots play head to head matches. That should get you pretty far, pretty quickly.