Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: To people with programming jobs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Do you guys have enough time after work to hang out with friends/girls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Friends/Girls? What are those again? :lol:

I haven't had any problems. However, it's highly dependent on the job and the workplace. For example, game studios have historically been pretty highly demanding on personal life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:22 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

jcollins wrote:
game studios have historically been pretty highly demanding on personal life.

This is very true. Someone i used to work with got hired by Activision for COD4 and his personal life went byebye.

I did get to play COD4 months before release though :)

Post subject: Re: To people with programming jobs
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

xxmainframexpxx wrote:

90% of the time .. hell yes. I choose my own hours with the following caveats: all of my work needs to be done before I leave, and I have 10am scrums (10 minute standing meetings to review objectives for the day and potential roadblocks).

So, as long as I get my work done and am in the office from 10am to 10:15, I'm free to do as I please.

In practice, this works out to a work day from 7:30 to 4 (my choice).

However, when one of my apps is getting close to release, I spend more time in the office. I have two products going RTM next week and I've been in the office until 6 most nights for the past 2 weeks. I've also come in on the occasional weekend to tie up loose ends. This kind of thing happens about 2 or 3 times a year.

I see my lady every night and have lots of social time for climbing, hitting the pub, surfing, and jeeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:04 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Ditto what Jip said. Every company is a little different, but so far I have found most to be pretty flexible. They don't really care as long as you hit your deadlines and work your 40 hours.

We are supposed to be here from 8-4:45. We have flex time and most of the supervisors are pretty flexible in letting us set a schedule as long as the client group we serve knows our schedule and we can still make important meetings (bi-weekly staff, quarterly safety, quarterly section, etc)

I typically work 7:30-4:30. I either take a slightly longer lunch (normal lunch is 11:30-12:15) or bank the time and leave at 3:45 on some days.

Most nights I have from 4:30-12A free (I am usually in bed by 11 and read for an hour or so).

Were I single, I would be plenty free to chase as many skirts as I felt like. I think all of my friends are the same way. In fact every other Friday or so we get together and go bowling, shoot pool, go to a brewery, whatever.

There is only one of about 6 of us that has dumb hours, but he kinda hosed himself and is letting himself get walked on (lower pay than he should be getting especially. he makes 2/3 what I do, and has been working at the company for 4 years or so now. I am just crossing my 2 year with my current employer this May)

Post subject: Re: To people with programming jobs
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

xxmainframexpxx wrote:

I've got enough time, yes. I usually get in before 9:00 AM everyday and leave around 5:00 PM. If it's crunch time, then I'll pull more hours but only if it's crunch time.

I've worked in companies where I worked 16 hour days for a long time and a couple where I worked 8 hour days and no one seemed to care. It depends on the company and project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:58 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Yeah... Game Programmers have the toughest schedules. I think it's for the 3 months pre-Release that the hours are unreasonable...

Don't know that I would consider it a healthy occupation but if you've worked under that high demand lifestyle it goes well on the resumé.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:35 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Dwood15 wrote:
Yeah... Game Programmers have the toughest schedules. I think it's for the 3 months pre-Release that the hours are unreasonable...

Don't know that I would consider it a healthy occupation but if you've worked under that high demand lifestyle it goes well on the resumé.

Some of my friends work in finance. Those guys have tough schedules. I got one friend working 15 hour days plus Saturdays. He loves it though, he makes bucu bucks and his bonuses are ridiculous.

I highly recommend programming for a career but only if you've got balls of steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:52 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

oh. I asked because i was talking to a former programmer at my university and he said he used to work 13 hours, 5 days or sometimes the full 7 days. I got a little scared lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah, like we said, that can happen. However, remember, you're in charge of whether or not you actually accept a job like that. Never put yourself in a situation where you can't afford to leave a job.

Note, never take a job like that without adequate compensation of some sort. Either through money, or the prestige of being at a job like that. Some companies try to work their entry level people like dogs (they get away with it because when you smarten up, they fire you and get someone else). Unless you are thanked through salary or prestige, you will always be a sucker and walked all over if you do it for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:08 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
oh. I asked because i was talking to a former programmer at my university and he said he used to work 13 hours, 5 days or sometimes the full 7 days. I got a little scared lol.
Today that is more the exception than the rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:05 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey guys,

I just switched from business economics to informatics (which is like comp sci) at my school. Right now I'm learning JAVA and software development. Hopefully, I made the right choice. What's a normal day for you guys like? Are any of you guys consultants?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

We described our 'normal' days above.

Informatics is not like Computer Science, though. It is a subset of CS ... you could call it applied CS, I guess. You certainly aren't going to be doing development, though, or (to be more accurate) your degree is not a good choice if you want to do development work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am 
Klamath
Klamath

oops sorry, i kind of just skimmed the post

But for a lot of people who don't know what informatics is, I usually just say that to explain it really quick. I'm taking a seminar class right now that's meant to help you explain to people what it truly is lol.

What exactly qualifies as development work? What type of work could my major be applied to? I really see consulting as something I want to do in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:01 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

What do you mean by consulting?

Development is, essentially and very broadly, writing code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:34 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

@mainframe,

One of the best series of books on programming and the "behind the scenes" questions like how much do I earn, how many hours is normal, and what to expect can be found from Steve McConnell. this link will take you there

Although there is a great deal about the processes of programming and the thought processes of the logical programmer there is also a fair amount of information about who a programmer is what projects fail and why they fail as well as more mundane things like pay scales and what to expect. I highly recommend this for any budding programmer.