Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Facebook Developlment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Any of you guys write apps for facebook? I started back in December and have been learning slowly over time. Here are some of my impressions:

- Facebook (FB) offers several ways to implement apps into their system. FBML, iFrame or iFrame inside of FBML. FBML stands for Facebook Markup Language. Facebook offers ways to add the friend invitations and various cool facebook tools to users through FBML. For example, if you want to invite friends to your app, you use

Code:
<fb:multi-friend-selector>...

This displays a friend selector on your page, no problem.

- The concept of FBML is great, but I think that it's often annoying and can slow down the performance of an application. Because FBML has to be transformed into HTML, it adds
some overhead to your app.

- Facebook dictates how you are to write your app. Because Facebook really wants you to use FBML, they really do enforce FBML on its developer base.
It's kind of annoying because your apps don't follow the traditional web development pattern: you remove the html, head
and body tags from your app. Leaving you with the contents. Easy enough? Well, if you're an ASP.NET developer, you've pretty much neutere your app
from server controls.

- So far, I'm exercising my Javascript abilities because I'll be utilizing Prototype JS with some of my apps.

Let me know what you guys think, I'd like to hear your opinions about facebook development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I haven't done any facebook development yet. Looks interesting though, I'll check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:01 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Doesn't seem much different than developing for other "frameworks" like Drupal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:24 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

CrashTECH wrote:
Doesn't seem much different than developing for other "frameworks" like Drupal.

Never developed for Drupal. Most of the time, I develop against a web service but I implement my own front end for things. It's kind of annoying developing for facebook but it's pretty advanced, considering what you can accomplish (and there are some neat things that have been done).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:12 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Well as you pointed out this is different than going against a WS.

The framework just makes it simple for you to include components like that. As an example Drupal has a really rich form API that automagically handles required fields and form validation etc.

The two advantages I see to not having your own front end is that you don't really have to code it (at least all of it) and it looks and feels the same as the core application (Facebook) so it makes it easier for people to just start using it. We have found with some applications we have here at the office that if the UI is similar in look and feel that the training is actually reduced.

They already know one app that works in a similar fashion the only new stuff is new fields etc.