Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Visual Studio 2008
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I just installed this on my Vista x64 system. I got it for free off of Microsoft Dreamspark.

It's already on my laptop, the school provided the laptop and programs I need. There is a debugger that is quite annoying that comes up when I view videos or other various things on the web. Is there a way to turn off this "external" debugger?

Any widely known problems with VS08 and Vista x64 or are they bread and butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I know there is a way to turn it off, I think it is called Just in time debugging. I will let you know if I find anything.

VS 2008 is pretty sweet, I won't lie. There was one stumbling block I had when I was trying to connect to an access database (another vendor's application used it for their data... ::shudders::) and I couldn't get it to work. I don't remember exactly how I fixed it but it has something to do with the JET driver not being installed or available under x64.

I was able to fix it and went on my merry way. I just don't remember what that problem was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:13 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

When you install Visual Studio 2008, it also installs debuggers for web development. I believe that you can set Internet Explorer to not trap page errors in the debugger in its preferences.

Go to the Tools menu: Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced Tab-->Browsing-->Disable Script Debugging.

There are two entries for Disable Script Debugging.

I've been using VS 2008 under both Windows XP x64 and Vista x64. It works best under Vista x64, especially the web application development tools. I noticed a bit of qwerkiness under XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I use Mozilla Firefox, and it came up so many times. I see there is that "Just-In-Time" debugger, and they have 3 options. The last is for scripts. Is it that important or is it just for reviewing websites and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you're not doing any web development, then just turn off the debeuggers in your browsers. I don't think that Visual Studio messes with Firefox. It sounds like you installed a plug-in of some sort in Firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:33 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

It is probably the OS that is letting the JIT Debugger pick up the script error. You can always turn them back on if you need them for web dev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:59 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I tried the free version MS is handing out and I'm unimpressed. Too much is going on in the program to understand. I'll stick with my eclipse or BlueJ for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:08 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Dwood15 wrote:
I tried the free version MS is handing out and I'm unimpressed. Too much is going on in the program to understand. I'll stick with my eclipse or BlueJ for now.
What do you mean too much is going on to understand? I didn't have any difficulty with it. In fact I LOVE some of the features it has!

Can you enlighten me?