Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do you actually compile a C++ program?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:35 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

So I'm following this guide for learning C++, but right from the get-go, I have to just ponder how incapable I am of doing something correctly. I used Notepad++ to write a simple "hello world" program like it said to, but it offered no help with choosing a compiler. I found OpenWatcom and Microsoft Visual C++ 2008, but in neither of them could I find a "compile" button, and Watcom wouldn't even open a .txt, .cpp, or .h.

Any help? I've got cookies. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

Open VC++ and create a new Win32 project, step through and choose an empty application with no Precompiled header.

Copy your source files into the solution and work there. (there's a run button, the green triangle)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:45 pm 

ctrl + f7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:51 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Visual studio calls it "build". It does the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:52 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

GreenBulge wrote:
ctrl + f7
In what? Pretty sure that building/running in visual studio is F5.

Ctrl+shift+B I think just builds the solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:05 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

CrashTECH wrote:
GreenBulge wrote:
ctrl + f7

It depends on the keybinding setup iirc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:06 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

smartcat99s wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
GreenBulge wrote:
ctrl + f7

It depends on the keybinding setup iirc.
True, but I think that is the default for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:01 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

@nmanguy

Your question is answered in the very first chapter of the source you are reading.

From your source: "...from the command line, where <filename> is the name of your source code file (for example, test.cpp). Other compilers may do things slightly differently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If you compile the source code from the operating system's command line, you should type the following:
For the Borland C++ compiler: bcc <filename>

For the Borland C++ for Windows compiler: bcc <filename>

For the Borland Turbo C++ compiler: tc <filename>

For the Microsoft compilers: cl <filename>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After your source code is compiled, an object file is produced. This file is often named with the extension .OBJ. This is still not an executable program, however. To turn this into an executable program, you must run your linker.

Creating an Executable File with the Linker
C++ programs are typically created by linking together one or more OBJ files with one or more libraries. A library is a collection of linkable files that were supplied with your compiler, that you purchased separately, or that you created and compiled. All C++ compilers come with a library of useful functions (or procedures) and classes that you can include in your program. A function is a block of code that performs a service, such as adding two numbers or printing to the screen. A class is a collection of data and related functions; we'll be talking about classes a lot, starting on Day 5, "Functions."

The steps to create an executable file are

1. Create a source code file, with a .CPP extension.

2. Compile the source code into a file with the .OBJ extension.

3. Link your OBJ file with any needed libraries to produce an executable program.
..."

Basically you have a program called a compiler. In an IDE the compiler is hidden from view but you are allowed access to it from the build menu.
You have a second program known as a linker. The linker's job is to take your compiled source code and give it access to the various api's and libraries that it will need to be functional.

When you use your compiler you are shrinking the code down to an intermediate languge that is itself executable but has no access to libraries etc. the resulting object file is interpreted code (p-code) but is not yet machine usable (c-code). The linker links one or more object files to various api and header libraries that provide access to the processor instruction set. These processor instructions then become usable by your program once the linker has been invoked and successfully linked.

Once you invoke and successfully link object files your code is now machine readable and executable and becomes a working program.

To directly answer your question if you are using Microsoft VC++ then from a Visual Studio 2008 command prompt type cl /clr <source file name.cpp> This will cause the program to compile and link. The IDE also has a build or run button and that will do the same thing

HTH