Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about 32 vs 64 bit operating systems.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quoting Microsoft....

"Over the past few years, the PC industry has gradually increased production of 64-bit PCs. We've been working with industry partners on this transition to 64-bit computing, as we did when the industry shifted from 16-bit to 32-bit PCs back with Windows 95."

Now, the newer processors do support 64 bit instructions? Yet Microsoft is still selling us 32 and 64 bit versions of it's operating system.

How long will it be untill we can expect the "Industry" to shift from 32 to 64-bit?

It would seem that the hardware architects are, in effect, so far, way too far ahead of the software architects for now. (Heck, the 64 bit plugin version of Java took how many years to be released?)

I do realize that new hardware releases present inherent problems for the new software releasers. But how many years do you think it will be before multicore/64 bit software catches up to the current hardware?

Long useless string edited to mend broken tables.

just for fun.

Post subject: Re: Question about 32 vs 64 bit operating systems.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I edited your post to remove the long nonsense string that was breaking the tables. If you think there was a valid reason for that string to break the tables, PM me.

line_test wrote:
Now, the newer processors do support 64 bit instructions?

Yes, for the most part. The only new processor that I'm aware of that does not have 64-bit support is Intel's Atom.

Quote:
Yet Microsoft is still selling us 32 and 64 bit versions of it's operating system.

Yes, because the majority of PCs being used are 32-bit. The majority of consumers have not yet upgraded to a 64-bit platform.

Quote:
How long will it be untill we can expect the "Industry" to shift from 32 to 64-bit?

It is in the process of shifting now.

Given that many software companies are only now removing support for Windows NT, and that many applications are still being written for 32-bit machines, I think you can expect the transition to take at least another 5 years.

Having said that, you have all the tools you need to build a 64-bit platform. You don't need the rest of the world to do it with you.

Quote:
It would seem that the hardware architects are, in effect, so far, way too far ahead of the software architects for now. (Heck, the 64 bit plugin version of Java took how many years to be released?)

Yes, they are. Hardware always precedes software ... writing software for hardware that doesn't exist is impossible. Writing software that is not backwards compatible with existing hardware is stupid.

Quote:
I do realize that new hardware releases present inherent problems for the new software releasers. But how many years do you think it will be before multicore/64 bit software catches up to the current hardware?

Windows? About another year.
Linux? We're already there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:06 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Thank you for your information and insight. I am sorry, I did not realize that the number string ASCII codes would break the tables of this bbs software...

I haven't done any programming since the 6510 Assembly language. So I am way out of date.

I guess I am just overly anxious to see the software dev's ask more of the hardware dev's.

BTW that was an ASCII to LATIN string.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:26 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I'm pretty darn anxious, too.

I'm really eager to see how much more power software will pull from current hardware as devs catch up. Multi-core and 64-bit optimisation have a LOT of potential that is going largely untapped these days.

Even MS is improving. My little netbook runs fastest using Windows 7 .. it beats XP and Vista hands-down. A custom-rolled linux setup will beat it, of course, but linux has the advantage of being optimised specifically for your particular hardware setup.

OSX runs like a dog, sadly .. but it isn't meant to run on this hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

From what I understand, writing code to run on multiple core's is a daunting task.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:07 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Erm

Como what?

Windows 64bit is already here and it is really pretty strong. I think the reason we haven't seen more proliferation is that the software is new. Lots of people are still using old apps because they already bought it.

It is going to get WAY better with Windows 7 though. Multi-core they are still working on a little bit, but I know I have mentioned before that Sony Vegas floors all 4 cores on my Q6700.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

CrashTECH wrote:
Erm

Como what?

Windows 64bit is already here and it is really pretty strong. I think the reason we haven't seen more proliferation is that the software is new. Lots of people are still using old apps because they already bought it.

It is going to get WAY better with Windows 7 though. Multi-core they are still working on a little bit, but I know I have mentioned before that Sony Vegas floors all 4 cores on my Q6700.

¿No lo comprende? I was using the term "Industry." loosely. It will be nice to see more programs "Flooring the cores!" :wink: