Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Student Government Technology Nightmare
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

As part of my duties as an Assistant Treasurer for my University's Student Government, I am trying to figure out the best way to store a large number of newly scanned electronic documents. I understand OCR is in its infancy, and have no plans to use it. What I do intend is to have a "tag" system for individual files (PDFs) so that a search run against the database, say for "budget" will pull a list of all PDFs tagged with "budget." Searching and downloading should be available to anyone without restriction, but uploading, tagging and other administrative functions should be limited to those with accounts.

Also, I wish to turn budget requests (and the budgeting process) into an entirely electronic exercise. Something along the lines of a form (with verified access so we know who is using the form) which submits automatically to the Treasurer and the requester once the form is filled out.

We do not have a budget for these things and I would prefer PHP/MySQL as a database backend if necessary. For forms, I would prefer something that can be filled out in a web browser to minimize complications for the non-tech savvy persons who will be using this system.

I am obviously not a coder but I can follow instructions (as a former Computer Science major who completely failed at said), just an FYI.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Never heard of anything quite like that, although I suppose upload/tag document systems are fairly common. As I explained in your previous thread I would be happy to try and code something for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:11 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Use a photo management suite to tag and organize your scans.

Use Excel for your budget forms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:41 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

http://www.knowledgetree.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

OK I'm looking at all these options now. The next problem is something for budgeting. To handle group budget requests, put them into a database that can be edited in real-time, but that also supports multiple users... I appreciate the offers to code things but the University wants something that's ready-made. Commercial suggestions welcome at this point as long as the license is one-time (as opposed to SaaS subscription-style).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Knowledge tree is nice... free too

Would this work for you?
http://www.mint.com/about/

Can always buy quickbooks
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

We already have QuickBooks offline (standalone software)... Does that get us online access too? I mean, Student Senate has a large number of organizations to track, and if possible I don't just want to be able to track from this end. I want people to be able to submit requests in real time that we then look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:50 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Since you don't want us to code something for you, I'm going to move this out of the PP. :)

OK ... I wrote the above line and then went to look at the list of forums and .. honestly .. I've no idea where to put this thread.

Sov .. it is your thread. If you feel you're getting enough responses / info here, I'll leave it. Alternatively, if you think you'll get more info in a different folder, let me know and I can move it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Jipstyle wrote:
Since you don't want us to code something for you, I'm going to move this out of the PP. :)

OK ... I wrote the above line and then went to look at the list of forums and .. honestly .. I've no idea where to put this thread.

Sov .. it is your thread. If you feel you're getting enough responses / info here, I'll leave it. Alternatively, if you think you'll get more info in a different folder, let me know and I can move it for you.

Yeah I had the same dilemma when I posted... But I figured since it's the "closest thing," and furthermore that programmers who hang out here are probably used to requests like this (and thus know what fits the bill so to speak) I'd post it here...

And now I have no time to work on this till at least the weekend. Argh.