Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Experienced programmers chime in
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:23 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

To the experienced and successful programmers. Can you give us upcoming programmers any tips on to succeed in the field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:11 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Don't spend time learning a language. Learn how to program and learn how to learn a language. If you know how to program you can use any language.

Be really open to .NET. You will always be able to find work. Even if it is contract work and temporary. Having a contract for 4 months, beats not having work for 2.

Post subject: Re: Experienced programmers chime in
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
To the experienced and successful programmers. Can you give us upcoming programmers any tips on to succeed in the field.

Yes. We've been doing that for years in this folder and in the Education / Certification.

Although you didn't ask, I'll even offer some advice: learn to ask specific questions. It helps. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 am 
Willamette
Willamette

To second CrashTech, if you learn the basics and understand the background for programming, you can learn and program any language.

1) There's no single solution to a problem. There's solutions that are better than others, but in the end, the important thing is a working program. The "perfect" is usually the enemy of "on time" in a corporate environment.

2) This is a personal thing, but avoid dissing the previous programmer (links back to #1). This is sort of like karma. The favorite thing for the new guy is to always diss the last guy's code and make themselves look better. But that seems to always come around in a circle and bite you in the end.

3) While it's fun to participate in the various language flame wars, the reality is that each language has its own pluses and minuses and the real important thing is determining the best language for the job. Don't throw out a programming language just because you think it is beneath you or because it is a "baby" language.

4) Finally, most importantly, and unfortunately not something that can be trained. Learn to pick your battles. You're being paid to do a job. If your boss, tells you to do something a certain way, you buckle up and do it.

It may not be the way you think will be the best. Depending on your boss, depending on the team you are on, you may or may not be able to redirect things. You won't know without experience with them. However, at the end of the day, you're paid to do the job the way they say to do it. If you can't work in an environment like that, don't work in a corporate environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:50 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My advice in no particular order...

1. Work in software development because you love it, not because you think you can make a good living at it.

2. Keep your knowledge up to date and never stop learning. The tech moves too fast to coast on what you learned in college.

3. If you don't understand something in someone else's code, don't be afraid to ask dumb questions about it. You'll look dumber if you break something that worked before you "fixed" it.

4. I matters not how much you think you know, there will always be someone smarter than you are.

5. At a job interview, if you see a lot of Dilbert cartoons posted in employee's offices / cubicles, then it's a sure sign of low morale. I'm dead serious about this.

6. If you're considering working for a start-up company, ask youself if they are developing something that you yourself would want to buy or use if given the oppurtunity. If the answer is 'no,' then you should look somewhere else. Every company I answered 'no' to that question closed up within a year of my interviewing with them.

7. Don't rely on a QA department to test your work. Always do extensive self-testing of your code before checking it in to a project. And always include a lot of error handling in your code. I don't know how many programmers I have encountered who act like, "if it compiles, then it must be OK." Not!

8. Like jcollins posted, don't "dis" the work of a previous programmer, there will always be some cowboy who follows to "dis" your work.

9. Don't get religion about a particular programming language or development enviroment. Use what's best for the objective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

SpazzAttack wrote:
1. Work in software development because you love it, not because you think you can make a good living at it.
Doing it for money is a bad idea, although you WILL potentially make really good money from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:45 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

what are things that would get you fired in the field (programming/software development.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:51 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Dont ream out interns for not including a test case in a very simplistic bug report. Fucking cunt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

gamerfreak wrote:
Dont ream out interns for not including a test case in a very simplistic bug report. Fucking cunt.
LOL

I am not sure what the specifics surrounding this is, but you probably should have included some sort of "This is how I did it". Which would have passed for a "test" in my book. Although it really depends on the nature of the bug.

I have been working full time since May, and I have been given a co-op. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

xxmainframexpxx wrote:
what are things that would get you fired in the field (programming/software development.)

Not doing your job.
Being the lowest guy on the totem pole when the cuts hit the team.
Grabbing your co-worker's ass

The same stuff that gets you fired in any job.

Honestly, though, your question confuses me. Why wouldn't you ask "what are the things that ensure you keep your job"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:36 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
Honestly, though, your question confuses me. Why wouldn't you ask "what are the things that ensure you keep your job"
Most people don't think that way though. They often want to know what would get them in trouble so they don't do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:30 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Most people don't think that way though. They often want to know what would get them in trouble so they don't do it.

Sad. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

CrashTECH wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
LOL

I am not sure what the specifics surrounding this is, but you probably should have included some sort of "This is how I did it". Which would have passed for a "test" in my book. Although it really depends on the nature of the bug.

No no no. I gave her very detailed instructions on how do reproduce it, but she wanted a more or less blank file to test it in.