Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

5 billion lines of code ban become a couple hundred real quick, which makes it somewhat easier for me to concentrate on what I'm doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:25 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

AndyYankee17 wrote:
5 billion lines of code ban become a couple hundred real quick, which makes it somewhat easier for me to concentrate on what I'm doing
wut?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
So .. yeah .. 'folding' the code in a function is nice feature for any IDE. Makes for much less scrolling through code! :)
I try to keep my files around 3k lines max. If you have that much going on you should be re-factoring anyway. One of the guys that I work with... has 6 and 7k+ line files. Drives me bat shit when he asks me to add some stuff to it or whatever. He also is kinda lazy about indenting and spacing... or he just does it way differently than me. I haven't figured out which :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
So .. yeah .. 'folding' the code in a function is nice feature for any IDE. Makes for much less scrolling through code! :)
I try to keep my files around 3k lines max. If you have that much going on you should be re-factoring anyway. One of the guys that I work with... has 6 and 7k+ line files. Drives me bat shit when he asks me to add some stuff to it or whatever. He also is kinda lazy about indenting and spacing... or he just does it way differently than me. I haven't figured out which :lol:

most IDEs also let you customize how you format so when press a certain hot key it puts in spaces, braces ect. into places you prefer them.

and as to my comment, I'm a student right now and when I'm trying figure out preprocessor directives and different calls to them I like fold the code up so I can quickly scroll back and forth, especially now, I'm spending my time trying to figure out a problem with JToggleButton which would probably take you guys 5 seconds to figure out

Post subject: Re: Best comments found in code, Evar!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:36 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

CrashTECH wrote:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/184618/what-is-the-best-comment-in-source-code-you-have-ever-encountered

I used to use the McDonalds menu for comments. Does that count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

CrashTECH wrote:
With things like intellisense and autocompletion there is ZERO reason (IMO of course) to have stupidly short variable names... such as x and y when you could have nLength and nWidth. Any decent IDE supports this so that you shouldn't have to always type every name.

Sorry to you purists who use a text editor. Get with the times! :)

This makes the code more readable and doesn't require you to document every damn thing you do so that it makes sense.

Comments tell you why.
Code tells you how.

Totally agree, although that same logic (and a host of other well-documented reasons) make Hungarian notation a bad idea as well..."length" and "width" would do just fine :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:19 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

krazy_kenny1 wrote:
Totally agree, although that same logic (and a host of other well-documented reasons) make Hungarian notation a bad idea as well..."length" and "width" would do just fine :)
This is true. It depends on what I am doing as to how I pre/post fix my names.

Windows controls? OkayBtn, UserNameTB, StateDDL, etc.

Private class variables all start with _

back to the comments though!