Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: C++ Project to help me remember all I have forgotten...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:56 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I have not taken a programming class since May and my skills (what littler there were) are dwindling at an alarming rate. Sooo, with the end of the semester coming up I want a programming project to keep me busy during the break. I have an idea for a personal project and would like some help defining the scope of my program. I have taken a few C++ classes so am not a newb but I am far from being called proficient in any form of the word.

What I would like to do is write a program that will allow me to keep track of multiple bank accounts (add, remove, update) and save the information to a simple text file. Later, I am going to make this write to a database and add more functionality; that is down the road...

I am assuming each account would be an instance of a class object. What I would like are ideas on how to setup the classes. I am OK with inheritance as long as it does not get too complicated.

I am starting to think about what properties to put in the classes first, should I be starting somewhere else.

I will need:
bankName
accountNum
curBalance
amtDeposit
amtWithdrawl
curDate // I am thinking about adding a history function later

I would like to practive using hash tables as well and was thinking about mapping bankname to accountNum or vice versa.

Give me some feedback and let me know what you think. Am I on the right track? Off my rocker? This is planning, actual work will not start until after the semester ends on 12/17 so there is plenty of time for analysis and design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:11 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You're definitely on the right track.

Here is how I would break the project down initially:

First, you need to define a generic bankAccount object. This definition should include both how you describe the object (its attributes) and how the object acts (its methods).

Account Attributes
Lets start with the list of attributes you've provided and I'll give you my opinion.

These are the variables that I would use in the object:

bankName
accountNum
balance -- I've renamed this because you are only interested in the current balance. Previous balances will be stored in your history file.

I would not define curDate in the object because the date and the object are independent. Any time you need the date, you can pull it from the system.

Similarly, these two (amtDeposit, amtWithdrawl) are not needed. They are specific to individual transactions and should be recorded as such.

Additional variables / attributes:
ownerName - string to hold the name of the account holder
otherUsers[] - an array of strings that hold the names of other people with access.

You could create a User object instead, with all the user info (address, phone number, age, accounts to which they have access) but this may add complexity that you don't need.

Account methods
getXXXX
setXXXX ... these are generic get and set methods. They return the value of the current balance, ownerName, etc.. Every mutable attribute needs get and set methods to ensure that the object is always responsible for its own maintenance.

Inheritence

All the things that make a chequing account different from a saving account are defined in the inherited classes. So a savings account will have an interest rate while a chequing account may override the setBalance() method to include a date (so you can write post-dated cheques and have your account updated appropriately on the day the cheque is to be cashed).

I hope that helps .. I feel I've been rambling a bit. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:43 pm 

An easy way to read and write to a database is to use the .csv filename extension (comma separated value). This will read and write to Excel, and a comma (",") will be the cell delimiter.