Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: php, python, or perl?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

As far as programming in websites, what is most widely used? php, perl, or python? or does it vary too much by application to really give an answer to that? Which language do you like, and why?

Post subject: Re: php, python, or perl?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:38 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Featherhead wrote:
As far as programming in websites, what is most widely used? php, perl, or python? or does it vary too much by application to really give an answer to that? Which language do you like, and why?

It really depends on what the application is, but most server side code is either PHP or ASP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:52 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well in my experience, more websites use PHP than either ASP or Perl (python isn't very common anymore). Most who use PHP like that it's free (unlike ASP) and its integration with MySQL databases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:50 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Quertior wrote:
Well in my experience, more websites use PHP than either ASP or Perl (python isn't very common anymore). Most who use PHP like that it's free (unlike ASP) and its integration with MySQL databases.

As far as the corporate world goes, its mostly ASP...which can interface with mysql fine btw :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:24 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

gamerfreak wrote:
Quertior wrote:

As far as the corporate world goes, its mostly ASP...which can interface with mysql fine btw :P

Classic ASP is just as free as PHP is. They are essentially the same thing. Also .NET is just as free. Just because it is from Microsoft and/or not specifically touted as F/OSS doesn't mean that it automatically costs money. Visual Studio is NOT free (unless you use the express editions and you are not supposed to create anything for commercial use with them). There ARE plenty of other ways to create .NET applications outside of Visual Studio.

Classic ASP IS still around but (at least where I work) nothing new is being created with it. We are nearly 100% .NET based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

CrashTECH wrote:
Classic ASP IS still around but (at least where I work) nothing new is being created with it. We are nearly 100% .NET based.

Yeah. Almost everyone who uses ASP uses ASP.NET. And has "Classic" asp always been free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:52 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Quertior wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

Yeah. Almost everyone who uses ASP uses ASP.NET. And has "Classic" asp always been free?

To my knowledge no language has ever cost money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:54 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Quertior wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

Yeah, I think that is correct. The tools, of course, cost money.

For instance, you can get a free SDK for the iPhone, but you have to run it on an Intel-based machine running OSX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:58 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
For instance, you can get a free SDK for the iPhone, but you have to run it on an Intel-based machine running OSX.
They assume (rightly or wrongly) that most developers already have a Mac and they also want their stuff developed on OSx. Makes a degree of sense from a compatibility standpoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
They assume (rightly or wrongly) that most developers already have a Mac and they also want their stuff developed on OSx. Makes a degree of sense from a compatibility standpoint.

Heh .. their assumption keeps out people like me who have the phone but can't do dev work for it. Bastards.

Still, it is easier to code for a single platform .. I can see why they didn't want to spend more money to port their SDK to another OS. Nonetheless, it annoys me. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Heh .. their assumption keeps out people like me who have the phone but can't do dev work for it. Bastards.

Still, it is easier to code for a single platform .. I can see why they didn't want to spend more money to port their SDK to another OS. Nonetheless, it annoys me. :P
You and me both lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

CrashTECH wrote:
Quertior wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

I looked it up. I was wrong in that neither ASP nor ASP.NET cost anything if you own windows, but a major competitor, Adobe ColdFusion, does cost a bit of money.