Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

WAHHHHH! I want to be a student! Not to bitch but when I was a student "Tips and Tricks on using a slide rule" was a good deal! :lol:

On another brighter note, hell we went to vote and less than 30 min later we were done.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Or become a Microsoft Registered patner. You could also just attend a launch event. The last two Visual Studio events I went to, I came home with the "Standard" version plus some other goodies. For 2008 I got Vista Ultimate and Server 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

CrashTECH wrote:
Or become a Microsoft Registered patner. You could also just attend a launch event. The last two Visual Studio events I went to, I came home with the "Standard" version plus some other goodies. For 2008 I got Vista Ultimate and Server 2008.

Yeah, I have done that. When they launched MS Office 2003 I went to the IX center here and snagged some great stuff.

OK side story here. When I went to the Cleveland launch of Office 2003 I arrived real early, they were just setting up. So I wander in and a nice girl checks me in and sends me downstairs to this really nice room. The help was bringing in pastry. So I walk in and sit my ass down. Now I am thinking this is unusual as there is seating for maybe 100 people in here? What the hell I sit down and start munching coffee and Danish (Really great cheese Danish too). The room begins to slowly populate so I am talking to people, everything seems cool and fun but still it's like something is wrong.

Next thing they bring in breakfast. I mean a full scrambled eggs, toast, sausage & bacon breakfast. This is incredible. Then the Microsoft people show up and start talking. I actuallt started to get active with the talk and how office works well for me and how I like the way the software interacts and I mention my interest in SharePoint and blah, blah, blah.

Meanwhile I am looking at the schedule of events and the shit doesn't make sense. I know something is wrong but I am not about to wander off or ask a stupid question.

Finally a little before noon things conclude for lunch. The Microsoft staff thanks us and informed us we would be given a nice briefcase as we exited the room. So I exit the room this Microsoft little sweetheart greets me and hands me this nice briefcase loaded with goodies and ask my name to check me off on her list. I knew something was wrong! I tell her my name and offer a business card and cop a plea. I told her how I got there early and had no clue. I offer to return the briefcase. She laughed, took my card and said I could keep it.

Turns out I was in a room full of company CEOs there by invite (VIP Invite) from Microsoft. :lol:

Go figure huh?

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:10 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Shoulda said your name was Steve Jobs. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

jcollins wrote:
Shoulda said your name was Steve Jobs. :)

And actually give up my cool briefcase? Hell no!

That was so funny. Several of them took me out to dinner after the show. They liked the way I participated and was active. The lunch was good too! :lol:

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:52 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Awesome!

Next time they have an event, we should see about going. But only if you can get me into the VIP room!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

CrashTECH wrote:
Awesome!

Next time they have an event, we should see about going. But only if you can get me into the VIP room!

LOL, we still need to snag an airshow too. :lol:

I tried to open the files I made in Visual Studio 2005 but it won't work. VS 2005 sees it as a newer version and that is as good as it gets.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:05 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Yeah, you can't go backwards. I think project files can go backwards but not solution files. Try just opening the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:26 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

CrashTECH wrote:
Yeah, you can't go backwards. I think project files can go backwards but not solution files. Try just opening the project.

Tried both. No dice on that note. I wasn't surprised by it. I tried the Project as well as the Solution. Both times it told me they were created with a newer version.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:22 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Reloadron wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

Tried both. No dice on that note. I wasn't surprised by it. I tried the Project as well as the Solution. Both times it told me they were created with a newer version.

Ron
I guess it must be only if you go forward and not backward. I think 2005 > 2008 converts the solution be leaves the project alone? ::shrug:: I have both @ work though.

We do need to hit an airshow too though. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:37 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

So I found the folder structure you were referring to, but it still makes a mess (multiple files instead of a single EXE)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:37 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Sovereign wrote:
So I found the folder structure you were referring to, but it still makes a mess (multiple files instead of a single EXE)...
Yep. There are some debug libraries etc. Any dlls you need to include with it etc. Really all you need is any DLLs and the exe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:35 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Sovereign wrote:

Soverign, if you want to post the modified code with your file paths I can likely build it and provide a .exe file you can download.

However, with the student version you have you should be able to do a build?

This may help:

http://www.startvbdotnet.com/extras/deploy.aspx

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:27 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

He has the Pro version if he got it from DreamSpark. Which is better than what they give away at launch events :)

I am spoiled by the Team System version at work.

You could add a path chooser or have it configured via XML? I can probably do that today if there is an interest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:43 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

With the Pro version he should be able to build his .exe similar to this:

Quote:
Next, we need to create an executable (exe) file for this application. To do that select Build->Build from the main menu which builds Deploy.exe. Next, we need to create an installer file for Deploy (which is the example) which is a file with .msi extension. To do that, select File->Add Project->New Project which opens the new project dialogue. Select "Setup and Deployment Projects" icon in the projects type box and Setup Wizard in the templates box.

The link I last posted is very, very similar to my version 2005 of VS 2005 Professional. He should see the template for the Wizzard.

Hind site is 20/20 but rather than my cutsy colored buttons I should have used a drop down to easily allow the addition of more themes.

Ron