Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which programming environment is better?
IDE 92%  92%  [ 12 ]
Unix utilities (vi, emacs, cc, etc..) 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Programming environments
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I've always used unix utilities since I gave up windows. But the other day, it occurred to me that my most productive programming days were when I had Windows. Coincidence? Maybe.. but it probably has a lot to do with the fact I mostly did JavaScript and GML.

I'm curious on your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:31 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

A good IDE will save you boat loads of time. Auto completion, run-time debugging, help with telling you what parameters functions take, etc.

I am a big fan of Visual Studio. I haven't really used 2008 yet, but I will be soon (at work).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:00 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ugh. I hate 'which is better' questions because they miss the point. Better for what?

I wouldn't use a full-blown IDE for a small project; I wouldn't use a simple editor for a large project.

I would also argue that emacs is IDE-capable, for want of a better phrase, and that it could really go into either category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

I use both at the same time.

Visual Studio is the one Microsoft product that makes me happy. It just works. However, there are sometimes I find vim to be much easier to work with -- especially when developing for simple C++ programs to be run purely on *nix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Jipstyle wrote:
Ugh. I hate 'which is better' questions because they miss the point. Better for what?

haha! I'm makin ya think too hard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:55 am 

I use Visual Studio 2008. Im a big fan of it. I get nice debugging support,a nd it works seemlessly with my Zune when deploying the games I write in XNA. If something crashes, it points me to the line, and I also get to look at the vars and values at the time of the crash on my zune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:16 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Well, I run Linux on my home computer, so most of my home dev work is done in Kate and g++, but at work I use VS .NET 2005. I've been using Visual Studio since version 6.

Here's what I've found: on the whole, VS makes me WAY more productive. You'll never know how useful function prototype popups, "Find all references", "Go to definition", etc. etc. until you use them. Holy crap, those are the most useful tools ever!

But I'm not all praise for VS: VS 2005, which is what I'm basically forced to use at work, has major issues with IntelliSense. The VS team claims they completely overhauled the IntelliSense system and included tons of bug fixes and optimizations. However, without SP 1 (which I can't install because I do not have admin rights on the server), IntelliSense is absolutely *horrendous* on any sort of large project. Heck, my current project isn't even that big! It's only around 10k or 15k lines. Even still, IntelliSense (when enabled), will randomly LOCK UP VS while it 'rebuilds the IntelliSense database". WHAT?! Yeah, it hangs Visual Studio whenever it feels like it. Oh, and it's not a short hang, either... It takes IntelliSense about 5 minutes (on a fast 8-processor dual Xeon server) to rebuild the database. Yeah... my productivity isn't helped when I can't do anything. I eventually had to turn off most IntelliSense features. What a waste. It may be overwhelmed by something particular to this project, but really there's nothing in there that should overwhelm it. There's certainly a lot of OOP in there, but isn't IntelliSense designed for large OOP C++ projects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Quote:
Here's what I've found: on the whole, VS makes me WAY more productive. You'll never know how useful function prototype popups, "Find all references", "Go to definition", etc. etc. until you use them. Holy crap, those are the most useful tools ever!

What cracks me up is that everyone sort of acts like VS introduced all of these great features. Come on people... it is Microsoft. The "not invented here, we copied it from over there" company! =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:20 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Gadget wrote:
What cracks me up is that everyone sort of acts like VS introduced all of these great features. Come on people... it is Microsoft. The "not invented here, we copied it from over there" company! =)
No, but if you are writing windows apps, it makes the most sense :) I don't know of any comparable IDEs targeted for windows. I haven't been impressed with things like Sharp Develop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:41 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

CrashTECH wrote:
Gadget wrote:
No, but if you are writing windows apps, it makes the most sense :) I don't know of any comparable IDEs targeted for windows. I haven't been impressed with things like Sharp Develop.

I haven't used Eclipse in forever, but doesn't it have all of the same features?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:27 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Possibly? If you are writing Java. How well does it handle C#, etc? I never used it for anything beyond the little bit that I played with Java. FWIW, I find Eclipse to be too slow compared to VS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Gadget wrote:
Quote:

I never said they invented them, I just said they're very very useful.
Read what CrashTECH said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

IDE's all the way! Like CrashTECH said, IDEs save you time with any size project. It helps to know how many overloads you wrote of some function, or exactly what that variable name was that you wrote yesterday at 2:00 AM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:16 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I don't mean to stray from teh topic, but is MS visual studio express edition (i.e. the free one) anything like the professional version? I've used the express edition quite a bit and unless I've been a total noob, I didn't find it so incredible. I actually liked DevC++ a little bit better. Was I missing something? And I was peeved when I found out that Visual Studio didn't support resource file generation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

qa9b wrote:
I don't mean to stray from teh topic, but is MS visual studio express edition (i.e. the free one) anything like the professional version? I've used the express edition quite a bit and unless I've been a total noob, I didn't find it so incredible. I actually liked DevC++ a little bit better. Was I missing something? And I was peeved when I found out that Visual Studio didn't support resource file generation.

Well Intellisense is a great feature, especially when dealing with library classes that you're not intimately familiar with. I generally only use Visual Studio for C++ and use netbeans or notepad for other stuff. I can't afford Visual studio professional, especially when I just use it for one language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:27 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Quertior wrote:
qa9b wrote:

Well Intellisense is a great feature, especially when dealing with library classes that you're not intimately familiar with. I generally only use Visual Studio for C++ and use netbeans or notepad for other stuff. I can't afford Visual studio professional, especially when I just use it for one language.

Visual studio isn't that epensive. There are the express editions. Also, all you have to do is go to a launch event or something and you can get a free copy (usually). I have gotten both my 2005 and 2008 copies for free by attending events/conferences. They have LOTS of good information in them too. I would have gone just for the presentations. The software, was actually a bonus.