Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DOS program
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 pm 

I want to start learning how to program. I have a program our company uses that my uncle designed in high school it is in dos and has a hard time working with modern day equipment. Any help on how to convert it to work with windows vista. i can give anyone the program if they want to fiddle with it. Its basically a pricing program. My job is to design cabinets and build a price list. It gets old having to use a dot matrix printer that has struggles printing. I f anyone could help me out. thanks
if you want the program i can email to you or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:32 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

tried dosbox yet?

I believe it can redirect LPT calls to USB printers. not sure what printer gets emulated though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:10 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Really, if you are re-writting it you can do it in anything.

Based on my experience and personal preference, I would say go download Visual Studio 2008 Express for C# and start there.

Also, dot matrix is still used because it works. That and you can make carbon copies with it where you can't with inkjet or laser. (You know, when you buy something or sign a loan, and there is the white copy, the yellow and pink? not possible without a dot matrix printer).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:59 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You want a simple graphic interface for pricing products?
As Crash points out, if you are rewriting it, you can do it in just about any language you choose. This is a simple project and easily in the scope of any of the major programming languages.

Since you have little (no?) programming experience, I would choose the easiest language to learn that can handle this kind of work. In this respect, I agree with Crash again and suggest C# using the Visual Studio IDE. It is as simple a high-level programming language as is currently available and is powerful enough to easily create what you want.

Now comes the hard part. :) If you want to create a program, you'll need to design it before you start writing code. You have your uncle's program, and if it does all that you need it to do, you can simply copy his design and turn it from DOS into C#. If you know programming, that should be simple enough. If you don't, it could be quite difficult. All of the disk access and hardware access routines have changed, so you'll still have to rewrite the majority of the program.

If you aren't a programmer, and you can work on this full-time, I estimate you'll need 3-12 months (!!) to get this up and running. Your code needs to be bullet-proof because it is for a business. Expect AT LEAST 3 months and that is if you have lots of time to work on it and have programming experience.

The alternative is to find a free alternative that already does what you want. The opensource community has applications for almost every conceivable use. The time that it takes to write that program could be saved by using a program that exists already. :)

So .. what do you want this program to do, exactly. Be detailed. Be specific. Think in terms of what you would ask a programmer to write for you and we'll see if we can't find something out there that is capable of doing what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:18 pm 

so basically its a list program you type in the name of the product and it brings up the price. then you can add tax percentages and special percentage for when parts go up in price.

so i start typing this in its command line:
W 36 42

and it enters the price for a wall cabinet that is 36 inches wide and 42 inches high.

the program also separates the wood parts from hardware.

then i have another program called the prchrt.

what this does is you enter the total price of the job, and the hardware price, and the wood price, then it will print out a couple sheets with all the upgrades you can add, like different kinds of wood.
i can send you the programs if you want to look at them.