Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Random Note Programming Project
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:53 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I would like to create a program that would generate a random note on a musical staff that scrolls across the screen. The user would need to either click on a fretboard or a piano keyboard to indicate where that note would be. A score would be generated and a high score would be saved. Furthermore, the user could determine a subset of the available notes from which to select, whether or not to use the treble cleff, bass cleff, or both randomly (or not randomly). The user would be able to select a speed at which to run the notes as well. It would be really cool if it would generate a tone so folks could even do some sort of ear training by guessing what note was generated.

This would be a local program that would run on someone's computer.

There is a program out there that does this already, sort of. There just aren't many configurable options which I don't like. It does not play tones either.

I've done a lot of scripting with VBS and some VBA so I'm somewhat familiar with the term "object model". I've done some simple HTML as well. I purchased what appears to be a good book on C++ but I don't know if it will get me where I need to go with this project.

Generating the notes is the easy part; I think it would be simple to just assign a value to each note on the staff and the random number selected from a pool would indicate where on the graphic the note would show up. Adding an additional variable to indicate whether the note is natural, sharp, or flat would be easy as well. Essentially, the calculations behind the program are about as simple as you can get in my opinion. The hard part for me is putting the graphics on the screen.

Now that I've typed a bunch, on to the questions:

1. What programming language would you suggest?
2. What software would I need to implement that programming language?

I am not opposed to Flash, but wouldn't I need to purchase an expensive piece of software?

Like I mentioned, the calcs are easy. For me it's the graphics that would be hard.

I appreciate whatever advice you can give, Thanks!

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:21 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:04 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

1. What programming language would you suggest?
2. What software would I need to implement that programming language?

1. I'd suggest C++, but I am a bit of a C++ fanboy...
2. Nothing that isn't freely available.

Google 'Microsoft Visual C++ Express Edition', 'Windows Sound API' and you'll either need to get really familiar with the GDI API or use DirectX or OpenGL.

Basically, you'd have to learn a language and at least two other APIs.

Not a small feat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Kybo_Ren wrote:
Not a small feat.

I am not a small man!! :D Besides, I like a challenge.

Thanks so much for your reply! I was beginning to worry that I would have to repost my questions elsewhere. ;)

I have Visual Studio .NET, so based on your reply it sounds like that's all I would need as far as programming tools. When I was referring to cost, I was hoping that folks wouldn't suggest I program this thing in Flash (whatever that means; I've never heard of the "flash" language, but w/e). Seems like a lot of games now are distributed via flash, and I don't know what that process is honestly.

So this project looks like it would encompass the following tools:

• Visual Studio .NET
  • C++
  • Windows Sound API
  • GDI API or DirectX or OpenGL

I googled GDI API and came across this site. Might be useful; dunno. The site is recommending (sort of) C# with regards to development time, although they suggest that C# games run sower than C++ games. I think in the long run I'd be better off learning C++, either way.

Are there any instructional websites, books, and/or forums that you would suggest going to?

Thanks again for your response.

-Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:51 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Sure thing.

Generally people refer to Flash's ActionScript language when they talk about 'programming in Flash'

There are a LOT of good websites out there, so here are just a few:
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/
http://www.gamedev.net/
And last, but most certainly not least,
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

The last will be your Bible as you struggle through the overly complex, at-times nonsensical Windows APIs
:lol:

If you're up to the challenge and have no misconceptions about how hard it's going to be, GO FOR IT! 8)