Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Classes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:47 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Well I wait to start programling like java and c++. Does anyone know what classes I should take in high school/college classes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:09 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Could you be a little more specific? What is offered? What do you want to do? What interests you? What do you know?

Post subject: Re: Classes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:52 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

ninjastar wrote:
Well I wait to start programling like java and c++. Does anyone know what classes I should take in high school/college classes?

Take what ever computer courses are available at your high school. You'll probably also want to take electronics depending on the number of electives. If you don't know how to type, for goodness sakes, take a typing class!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:04 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Gadget wrote:
ninjastar wrote:

Take what ever computer courses are available at your high school. You'll probably also want to take electronics depending on the number of electives. If you don't know how to type, for goodness sakes, take a typing class!!!
I took keyboarding in 9th grade. I still see vast differences between me (I have been able to hit 130 gwpm, with very few errors...) and those whom have not taken it. Especially those who still are stuck with 2-3 fingers or the seek-and-poke method.

It SAVES so much time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:05 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Typing should be a required course. For 3rd graders... =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:21 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Gadget wrote:
Anymore, probably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I cant imagine what it would have been like if i didnt take that typing class in 9th grade. Since i used computers a lot i had a good basis for where everything was, i always got yelled at for using the backspace button because "we hadn't learned that key yet". Typing should be taught before writing in cursive, because seriously how many people still write in cursive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:15 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

CrashTECH wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Anymore, probably.

Yeah, I remember taking typing classes in elementary school but they were kind of annoying because they always forced you to type only certain letters or type gibberish. But I think that's part of the reason why I can type without looking at the keyboard now, although it's funny that when I notice I'm doing it suddenly it gets harder. I think that typing speed often comes from just typing a lot, eg. IMing and posting on forums and stuff. I think many teens and stuff these days can type extremely fast only because of IM, since not everyone has taken typing classes.

For programming, take AP Computer Science if your school offers it, and any CS classes at all if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Link2Ib wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
Gadget wrote:
Anymore, probably.

Yeah, I remember taking typing classes in elementary school but they were kind of annoying because they always forced you to type only certain letters or type gibberish. But I think that's part of the reason why I can type without looking at the keyboard now, although it's funny that when I notice I'm doing it suddenly it gets harder. I think that typing speed often comes from just typing a lot, eg. IMing and posting on forums and stuff. I think many teens and stuff these days can type extremely fast only because of IM, since not everyone has taken typing classes.

For programming, take AP Computer Science if your school offers it, and any CS classes at all if you can.
Muscle memory/training. All keyboarding classes are like that. It is like the f key is here, here, here, here, v key, f key, v, etc.

That is really all it is. You just instinctively know where to send your finger for the word you are typing from memory.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:30 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Gadget wrote:
If you don't know how to type, for goodness sakes, take a typing class!!!

Why? Programming doesn't require typing speeds much more than 20 words per minute. Waste if time unless you want to do data entry IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

gamerfreak wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Why? Programming doesn't require typing speeds much more than 20 words per minute. Waste if time unless you want to do data entry IMO.

In general, what is the relative percentage of code to documentation? Usually it is fairly high and while the act of programming itself doesn't require high rates of typing speed, especially in IDEs like Netbeans w/ shortcuts like sout and fori, it sure as hell doesn't hurt especially if you can touch type all of the symbols too...

for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
}

... without having to look away from the screen.

For programming, the most important benefit of good typing is that your concentration is not broken by the act of typing. You're able to remain focused on the algorithm or whatever you're doing at the time without hunting around for all of the keys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:16 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

gamerfreak wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Did you really just make that stupid of a statement? When is it EVER a waste of time to know how to type properly?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:50 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

CrashTECH wrote:
Did you really just make that stupid of a statement? When is it EVER a waste of time to know how to type properly?

When you are posting in an internet forum :lol:

Seriously, I took a typing class in 9th grade too. I still have problems with some of the keystrokes, but in general I can type pretty fast without having to look away from the screen, which is a big help. Someone (don't remember who) said that if they look at the keyboard it will slow them down, how true is that for myself as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:20 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

CrashTECH wrote:

All of the typing classes I ever took where filled with extremely repetitive and meaningless exercises that never did anything for me. I can type at a good 70 words per minute, programming doesn't require speeds nearly that fast, and typing papers aren't tedious. For me, It's a waste of time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

gamerfreak wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

All of the typing classes I ever took where filled with extremely repetitive and meaningless exercises that never did anything for me. I can type at a good 70 words per minute, programming doesn't require speeds nearly that fast, and typing papers aren't tedious. For me, It's a waste of time.
I agree with both of you. Fast typing is a must, but not for programming. You have to think more than you have to type in most cases when you program.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:24 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

gamerfreak wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

I feel like I explained the repetitive processes already...

70 wpm is NOT all that great...

Learning a skill, especially computer related, is not a waste of time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:51 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

CrashTECH wrote:
I feel like I explained the repetitive processes already...

70 wpm is NOT all that great...

Learning a skill, especially computer related, is not a waste of time.

I never said 70 WPM was great, but its plenty for anything I would ever want to do. I have better things to spend my time learning.

This is turning into a pissing match, I'm just going to stop here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:45 am 

I think fast typing will come over time (and tight deadlines will help). I was enrolled in a typing course when I was in HS (way back when). I was glad when I dropped it for a course in BASIC.

Good ol' GWBASIC.

10 Print "Home"
20 Print "Sweet"
30 GOTO 10

That said, my advice is to take any serious course. Even if there aren't any programming course available, you can't go wrong with a math course. It will depend on what you want to focus in, but there's a lot that could help you out down the road. You'd be surprised when some accounting or economics course pays off later.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:49 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

gamerfreak wrote:
I never said 70 WPM was great, but its plenty for anything I would ever want to do. I have better things to spend my time learning.

This is turning into a pissing match, I'm just going to stop here.
First, how is this a pissing match? I am just saying that if there is room for improvment in one of your skills, why say it is a waste of time? Why tell somebody else it is a waste of their time? Maybe they will look at it differently.

When is it ever a good idea to tell somebody not to learn something? Sure, it might be plenty for you "now", but I bet you could type faster. I will be honest and say if you had actually tried to learn when you took it the first time, you would have learned it right. It isn't like I am asking you to major in keyboarding.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

linuxcrazy wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:

I agree with both of you. Fast typing is a must, but not for programming. You have to think more than you have to type in most cases when you program.

My two cents... simplifying all programming down to two classes of problems...

1) If the problem is trivial, a talented programmer will just type it up.
2) If the problem is complex, hopefully, you will have already thought about the problem, drawn little diagrams, written some pseudo-code and will simply implement it.

Again, being able to touch type allows you to get the idea out of your head, off of a paper, whatever with the fewest interuptions to your concentration.