Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

Are you a self-taught or school-taught programmer?
Self-taught 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Schooled 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Six of one, half-dozen of the other 61%  61%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 18
Author Message
 Post subject: Just wondering...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:40 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 10
Did you guys learn all this stuff by yourself, or are most of you in college doing this?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just wondering...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:05 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
DaFeesh wrote:
Did you guys learn all this stuff by yourself, or are most of you in college doing this?


I started programming when I was 10 or so. Self-taught from books I got out at the library. I took a class in High School, where I was teaching the teacher things. I took a course (still in high school) at the community college (PSEO student). Then I started my CSE program, and was introduced to some new languages, better instruction etc.

I have been a mix of traditionally educated and self-taught. I really believe that you can learn just about anything if you want to give it a go yourself.

Some of the best programmers were self taught, and some came from school. It is really more about the person I think that makes you a good programmer. The logical thinking is what you really need. Knowing the languages just comes after you figure out how to think about a problem.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:57 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24224
Location: Granite Heaven
This question seemed to want a poll, so I added one. Dance!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just wondering...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:05 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:37 pm
Posts: 4745
Location: In the monkey's litterbox
CrashTECH wrote:
DaFeesh wrote:
Did you guys learn all this stuff by yourself, or are most of you in college doing this?


I started programming when I was 10 or so. Self-taught from books I got out at the library. I took a class in High School, where I was teaching the teacher things. I took a course (still in high school) at the community college (PSEO student). Then I started my CSE program, and was introduced to some new languages, better instruction etc.

I have been a mix of traditionally educated and self-taught. I really believe that you can learn just about anything if you want to give it a go yourself


I'm the same way. If I need to learn something, I'll just go find a tutorial somewhere, but I still take courses to expand on what I already know


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:59 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
Jipstyle wrote:
This question seemed to want a poll, so I added one. Dance!
I thought it was "Six to one, half dozen to the other"?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:35 pm
Posts: 1176
I started programming in 2nd grade, so obviously I'm 99.999% self-taught. I am a CS major in University now, but (at least so far) I've learned nothing new in college. I'm just going to get the degree so I can go to grad school ;)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:15 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24224
Location: Granite Heaven
Kybo_Ren wrote:
I started programming in 2nd grade, so obviously I'm 99.999% self-taught. I am a CS major in University now, but (at least so far) I've learned nothing new in college. I'm just going to get the degree so I can go to grad school ;)


That is a shame .. what year are you in?

I was programming from about 10, but I'd never dealt with any of the math or algorithmic analysis that I learned as an undergrad. Graphs, OOP, most data structures, formal language theory ... all new to me in university.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just wondering...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
DaFeesh wrote:
Did you guys learn all this stuff by yourself, or are most of you in college doing this?


Started when I was 13 but stopped when I was 15. I took it up again in University and have been coding since. I'm a full-time software developer, now, so I took my degree to the field.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:05 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:04 pm
Posts: 985
Location: Earth
Quote:
I was programming from about 10, but I'd never dealt with any of the math or algorithmic analysis that I learned as an undergrad. Graphs, OOP, most data structures, formal language theory ... all new to me in university.


Same. I look back at all of my code and realized how vastly I've improved. I've learned so much more in University, not to mention the credibility to actually work as a programmer. ;)

I'm dealing with larger problems, too which is nice. Maybe in the future, I'll jump out of software development for businesses and into something more lower level.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:35 pm
Posts: 1176
Jipstyle wrote:
Kybo_Ren wrote:
I started programming in 2nd grade, so obviously I'm 99.999% self-taught. I am a CS major in University now, but (at least so far) I've learned nothing new in college. I'm just going to get the degree so I can go to grad school ;)


That is a shame .. what year are you in?

I was programming from about 10, but I'd never dealt with any of the math or algorithmic analysis that I learned as an undergrad. Graphs, OOP, most data structures, formal language theory ... all new to me in university.

First year (so I'd expect to not learn anything). Though I'm set to graduate in 3 years, so I guess that puts me as a 1.3 year? :lol:

In 2004 I joined a bunch of programming forums, without most of the knowledge you mention. By the end of the year, with probably 3000 posts to the forums, a couple thousand pages of more advanced books, and a LOT more actual programming experience, I'd learned most of those topics.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:52 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 10
Wow, I'm 16 and just starting to pick this up. Sounds like a LOT of hard work.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:57 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 am
Posts: 10
Also, what were some of those mentioned forums?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:44 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:35 pm
Posts: 1176
It IS a lot of hard work, which is what some of the engineers I see here at school struggle with. Engineering is a very stressful, difficult, time-consuming major. Computer science even more so.

I will guarantee you will do fine, though, as long as you're actually interested in all this stuff. If you WANT to learn it, you will.


I visit a lot of forums, but some good programming forums are:
http://www.cboard.cprogramming.com <--- really good
http://www.cpp-home.com/forum/index.php <--- used to be really good, don't know about now
This forum
And a couple others, but those should get you started really nicely

Good luck!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:37 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:04 pm
Posts: 632
Location: Pleasanton, CA Folding as i.of.the.storm
Taught myself in 8th grade, and have taken one course in high school, AP Computer Science. When I taught myself it was VB (which I am slightly ashamed of, but that's what I found first.) It's not that bad, it's just that once I learned true object oriented programming I couldn't go back to VB6. APCS taught me Java, although our teacher's mantra was "Google It" so he was giving us mostly the science part, algorithms and data structures and Big O stuff, and the rest we googled for ourselves. Now I'm working on learning C++/C so I can do some more fun things, because although Java is incredibly nice for learning it's too slow for serious stuff, my Visual Basic games were faster than my Java stuff. I'm also planning on learning to program my DS, I've made some simple Hello World type programs but never got much farther because documentation isn't as well developed as Java docs are. I think Java really spoiled me by being so well-laid out and libraried, when I found that C++ arrays don't have a .length property my reaction was pretty much wtf why??? Pointers are rather fun though.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:25 pm
Posts: 2781
Location: Buzzing out Loud
So far all my programming knowledge I've taught myself; HTML, JavaScript, C++, and BASIC.

I'm working on my Associates Degree at Ivy Tech, and I will be taking some coding classes in the future...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:14 pm
Posts: 246
I'm 13 and I taught myself earlier this year.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group