Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anyone do DBA Consulting or know someone that does?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hello all :D

I am trying to get into doing Database Consulting (SQL Server) and want to know what it is I should know in order to get into doing that?

I know I am a ways off still but I am going for my SQL server 2005 certificate. I have 10 years of pro IT experience and 4 years experience in designing/implementing and maintaining databases.

So...any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:43 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Before getting into any kind of consulting, it generally helps a lot to have experience in the field. You don't (generally) walk from school / certs straight into a career in consulting because no one wants to hire a consultant with no experience. Full time positions often require some in-house training, so you can get a job without experience, but consultants are assumed to be ready to work without any training .. that only comes with experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:43 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks Jipstyle :D

As you can see from my post, I do have 4 years experience. I am getting this certificate to solidify my experience so not only can I demonstrate what I know but I also have something that says 'yes I do know something'. I like having a combination of the 2. My main questions are really;

1) Do I need a business license of some sort?
2) Is it best to find some sort of consulting firms? If so how do I find them?
3) Is it better to fly solo? If so, whats the best way in going about getting clients?
4) Assuming one flies solo, what are the best practices in charging people? How do you know how much to charge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:46 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You have enough experience to give it a shot, anyway. Experience as a consultant is most valuable, but it requires solving the chicken/egg question.

1) Laws vary by state / country.
2) It is easier to get started this way if you can find a firm to hire / represent you. Internet research is the best idea for this one, since tech firms always have a web presence.
3) Solo means you pocket the whole fee. If you can command a fee that is close to that of the firms, you'll come away with more ... but that requires you build a reputation.
4) Experience, again. Billing / fees are the easiest way to spot a rookie ... again, do your research locally because fees can vary substantially by location for any kind of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:10 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Cool Thanks JipStyle, that helped alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:08 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Any time .. glad I could help :)

Post subject: Re: Anyone do DBA Consulting or know someone that does?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:13 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

havocdragon wrote:
Hello all :D

I am trying to get into doing Database Consulting (SQL Server) and want to know what it is I should know in order to get into doing that?

I know I am a ways off still but I am going for my SQL server 2005 certificate. I have 10 years of pro IT experience and 4 years experience in designing/implementing and maintaining databases.

So...any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated =)

You can specialize in databases nowadays but being able to know multiple DB engines is always a good thing. SQL Server 2000/2005 is relatively simple to learn (I'm a .NET Developer with a developers knowledge of SQL Server).

What should you do to break into the consulting industry? Get a job at a consulting firm. I know it sounds lame and stupid, but it will give you exposure to multiple industries and firms of varying sizes. They also invest heavily in training, so you will most likely be forced to be certified. I've worked with a company that required all of their developers/DBA's to be certified within 6 months of hire.

Anyhow, an MCDBA is not as a good nor does it carry the weight of experience. Break into an entry-level, junior position, and work your way up (that's what I've been doing the past two years).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:48 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

<thread hijack>

Welcome back, DJ .. haven't seen you around in a while. :)

<kicks thread back on track>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:13 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jipstyle wrote:
<thread hijack>

haha, yeah, been around the world. :P Well, not quite. Graduated University, got a job, and now, I'm just working and traveling. Haven't been around these forums, and then one day, it just kind of clicked. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:28 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
<thread hijack>

haha, yeah, been around the world. :P Well, not quite. Graduated University, got a job, and now, I'm just working and traveling. Haven't been around these forums, and then one day, it just kind of clicked. :)

You graduated AND got a job?! Damn. The odds were astronomical. Hell, the probability of either event occurring was amazingly small. I should know. Jipstyle and I performed a Monte Carlo simulation and figured out that Gamerfreak's spelling would improve long before this ever happened. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

:lol:

I'm glad I didn't put money on it! :P

Congrats, DJ .. and welcome back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:28 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
You graduated AND got a job?! Damn. The odds were astronomical. Hell, the probability of either event occurring was amazingly small. I should know. Jipstyle and I performed a Monte Carlo simulation and figured out that Gamerfreak's spelling would improve long before this ever happened. =)

LOL!!!! Funny, ain't it? I told you I'd beat the odds. I always do, I'm good at it. ;P

besides, I've been hit with the traveling bug, so much of my hard earned income goes to traveling. :P I really enjoy it, and I'm even thinking about getting a job overseas. :)

Statistically speaking, I actually fared better than most of my friends. Out of my group, I'm the only one that got a developer position at a company. I started out small; working for a company of 5 (I was the 6th man), then I went off to a bank and now back to a smaller company.